Thursday, April 1, 2010

One Lucky Girl

It is not without some hesitation that I write this post.  I realize that the publication of one's own good fortune can seem bragadocious or can potentially arouse discontent or resentment because of contrary experience.  Stories of a perfectly-suited spouse or a cooperative, excelling child can sting those from whom those blessings have been withheld. 

That's sort of a lengthy preface to a very simple story, but I hope it helps to avoid stirring up negative feelings in any of you.   

I received 2 texts this week from my technologically-savvy father: one telling me he was thinking about and praying for me and one telling me he loved me...out of the blue...for no particular reason.  At 44, there's still nothing quite as comforting and uplifting to me as the love of my Daddy.  I cannot remember a single conversation, from the day I left home at age 17 until now, in which he hasn't said, "I love you, Lori Ann."  He tells me he's glad I'm his daughter...that he's proud of me...that I'm doing a great job raising my children, etc.  He always sends me out with a blessing.  Always.  Not because he's a sappy, emotional guy to whom this comes naturally, but because he knows I need to hear it.

I hope all you fathers will take it from a grown-up: your girls will never stop needing your expressions of love.  Never.

I am a lucky girl indeed.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm!

Anonymous said...

Yes, you are a "lucky" girl. Amazing to think that we all need to hear words of encouragement and blessing. Joanie

Anonymous said...

My daughter, raised in the faith, left for the "big city" with dreams of career and creativity in her craft 30 months ago. Now, dropped out of school, due with child in a week, $30,000 down in student loan debt, and just a petite 21 years behind her, has me fret with wonder... Did she not know in her soul that I loved her? Did I not tell her often enough? I tell her now, afresh and intense, but the haunting remains. Pray for me.