Thursday, August 5, 2010

The Hole In Our Gospel

I don't think of myself as a person who demands luxury or comfort in my daily life or circumstances. 

Even though I currently live in a greater degree of ease than I ever have, where all my material needs are satisfied...I eat good food, drink good wine, enjoy the luxuries of good music, reside in a beautiful and well-appointed home, own nearly every great book ever written, vacation in places like Costa Rica and Lake Tahoe, send my boys to the school of our choice...I still THINK of myself as someone who COULD live minimalistically if I had to.  Afterall, I spent much of my life in very poor or nearly-poor circumstances.  But I wonder...

I just finished reading The Hole In Our Gospel by Richard Stearns, president of World Vision.  He too lived in great luxury before he was called to leave his pursuit of wealth in order to pursue a ministry of carrying The Gospel to the poor, widowed and orphaned around the globe.  His story and the challenge he sets in front of us who call ourselves Christians (especially American Christians), made me uncomfortable...and I think that was the point.  We are surrounded by wealth, so we often don't see ourselves as wealthy, though compared to more than 90% of the world, we are.  Exceedingly so.  And let's face it...we use our wealth primarily in self-serving ways, don't we? 

Sure, we tithe and we give gifts to the needy within our own congregations and communities.  We even support several missionaries and church planters.  All of that is good and right, and we should continue in those things.  But Stearns' point is that we really could afford to do SO much more than we do.  Sometimes we're too shortsighted to see the difference we can make, sometimes we are overwhelmed by the magnitude of the global need, sometimes we are judgemental about the reason folks are so needy in the first place. 

But we underestimate the impact we could have if all of us who profess Christianity put our money where our mouth is and used our resources (time, talent, treasure, etc.) in purposeful ways.   But I can't excuse my own lack of intentional service by anyone else's lack...even if I only impacted 1 or 2 lives (outside of my children), they in turn can make a difference in their own families and communities.  Even a small contribution (I'm not just talking money, either) can ultimately affect change that matters.

I have not yet figured out what this middle-aged stay-at-home mom can do, but I hope I don't push aside Stearns' challenge simply because it makes me squirm and because it's hard to think about.   The thing is, since his challenge is biblically based, I cannot rightfully ignore it in favor of wallowing in comfort, can I?  

I guess no one ever said being a Christian was easy... 

6 comments:

jennifer h said...

Mark and I just got free copies of this book at a Christian leadership conference we attended today for my job. Mark wanted to buy it , but wexthen found out it was free for conf attendees. Good to know you found the book compelling.

Les said...

I might have to pick this book up. Or maybe I don't really want to. Seriously, this post really nails me, and I don't consider myself very wealthy at all. Actually just the opposite. But I do suppose as with most things there is perspective. I really could do so much more.

Lori Waggoner said...

Jennifer, Why do I always feel it's necessary to point out that I don't agree with everything the guy says? Some of his Scripture applications are not contextually sound (IMHO), and he sometimes engages in what COULD be construed as guilt-mongering...BUT overall, I think his point is valid and he presents a challenge to the Church to really fulfill the Great Commission in tangible ways. The basic theology is similar to Wright's in Surprised By Hope...that we have a responsibility to make a public impact by the way we live out the Gospel in the world.

Enough qualification there to mitigate an accusation of poor judgement in case you don't like the book? :-)

Lori Waggoner said...

Les, I can pretty much assure you that you don't WANT to read it, but it is highly relevant to your current work and I'm sure it will strike a chord with you on that basis alone.

You have found a way to begin making an impact in the ways Stearns' talks about, so you may not come away feeling as guilty or inadequate as some of the rest of us.

jennifer h said...

Believe me, you don't have to qualify things for me. I (we, as in Mark and I)read books all the time that we don't agree with fully. There are always good things to be gleaned even when you don't agree with someone entirely.

Rich K. said...

Lori,
Excellent commentary! The book was a life changer for me. I've re-read this book about six times in the past year and each time I read it, I am left wondering what happened to our Christian values and culture, especially for me. For most of us, our life is all about leisure and mindless escape into a world projected through a tv tube or movie screen. Think of the time and money we throw at that aspect of our life alone and how that could be used for better purposes such as service for Christ. No need to pontificate on the issue...the book easily highlights the issue in the first several chapters, and makes a call for us to do things differently.

I'm glad you enjoy it...albeit it in an uncomfortable (but probably good) way.