Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Wordsmith Wednesday

Remember way back when I used to publish these weekly?  My lack of discipline has been on display for quite some time now, but I plan to execute some strict self-government from now on.  Or at least for today.

Here are some new words I encountered in my most recent read: The Bonfire of the Vanities (more to come on that another day).

subornation - the crime of inducing another to commit perjury

lugubrious - sad or mournful in an exaggerated way

solecism - a grammatical violation; breach of etiquette

logorrhea - excessive, incoherent and uncontrollable talkativeness

dendrite - the branched part of a nerve cell that carries impulses

bathos - trite sentimentality

debentures - an interest-bearing bond issued without a specific pledge of assets

homunculus - a little man

vulpine - clever, cunning

cynosure - and person or thing that is the center of attention

No comments: