Monday, August 9, 2010

Leonardo

I saw Inception last night for the first time.  One young man, who mistakenly believes I am working with a full deck, told me I would be blogging about it for 2 weeks.  Well, if I understood it, maybe I would.  I feel certain there is much that could be said, but in order for me to say it, at least 2 more viewings and months of processing will be required!

I will say this: I am baffled by the mind that creates this kind of story.  Crazy.  I just hope it doesn't turn out to be a Joe vs. the Volcano movie where everyone but me seems to "GET" all the deeper meanings.  No matter how many times I watch that movie, I just don't see what these theologically minded, geeky men see.  I've tried.

Anyway...I titled the post "Leonardo" because after watching Inception, I was mentally reviewing his body of work.  I'm not sure Inception required any depth of talent or character...the plot was the driving force not the acting (IMHO).  Don't misunderstand.  I'm not implying that the acting was sub-par or anything, just that it wasn't the reason behind the movie's success.

I suggest to you that DiCaprio's finest work remains his very first successful role - as Arnie in What's Eating Gilbert Grape.  He was incredibly young and he represented his character perfectly!  If you haven't seen this movie, I highly recommend it.  It is a character-driven story (do not read that as "chick-flick!) which portrays moments of real depravity, but shines in its moments of love and redemption.  Do yourself a favor and check it out.   

2 comments:

JD Linton said...

While I completely enjoyed the movie for the action and excitement factor, I had a hard time making all of the rules of the dreams work together. One thing that distracts me in a movie is when I notice internal inconsistencies in the story. I was so distracted in this movie.

Lori Waggoner said...

I wasn't with it enough to find inconsistencies! Maybe the second or third time around I'll see them. Maybe...