Thursday, September 9, 2010

Seven Pounds

Even though it has taken me more than 2 years to watch this movie, I was able to do so without anyone revealing its big "secret."

SPOILER ALERT:  If you haven't seen it, but intend to, you may not want to read this post.

Initially, I viewed Tim's final act as noble, but on further contemplation I recognize its utter futility.  Guilt and a driving need for redemption drove him to inflict upon himself "an eye for an eye" as a means of self-atonement. 

Yes, he lays down his life for the life of others, but only because he cannot find peace and redemption any other way.  However virtuous it appears on the surface, his is a desperate choice made apart from the Grace of The Gospel.  A tragedy in the truest sense.

Very good story.  Very well acted.  Well worth my time.

No comments: