Monday, September 27, 2010

My Daddy

He is an intelligent, hardworking man who remains dedicated to his family. 

I'm proud to say this statement reflects the truth about my daddy.  But, there is a greater, more significant  truth about him which makes me not proud, but thankful.

Through all kinds of tempation and trials, Daddy has been an example of patient endurance.  He always practiced what he preached.  He lived out what he believed and taught.  He never turned aside to the right hand or to the left.  Now, that is remarkable in and of itself, but the TRULY remarkable thing is that when I have failed to follow his instruction and example, when my practice and life have NOT measured up, he has never forsaken me.  No matter what...he has been for me.

The ever-elusive "they" say that our opinion of God is closely connected to our relationship with our earthly fathers. I believe "they" are right. The world was designed such that we are supposed to understand God in light of relationships with those creatures who bear His Image...especially those which are correlative to His relationship to us, such as the Father-Child connection.

I'll say this: if God is like my Daddy, I want to know him.  I want to be known by him.  Why?  Because when I have rejected his teaching by straying from the path, when I have played the fool, even when I have brought public shame on him (which I have done more than once in my adult life), he is there.  Not with a scowl or harsh words of reproof, but with open arms and words of compassion, forgiveness and edification. 

In those moments when every vestige of glory has been stripped away, he has held me in his arms while assuring and reassuring me of his continuing love.  I'm certain that "Tough Love" has its place, but it has been Daddy's tender, forgiving looks and words that have spoken volumes to me about God's faithfulness, His mercy, and His unconditional love. 

My Daddy turned 68 today.  The man has experienced his fair share of heartache, but he is a rock, a strong tower into which I can run and be safe.  He is truly a man of God, and even though my life has not always brought him honor, I hold him in highest regard and hope to honor him with these words today.

I love you, Daddy.  Happy Birthday.

No comments: