Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Useless "Skills"

Have you acquired any special skills or abilities (AKA: Stupid Human Tricks) which contribute absolutely zero benefit to self or society?  I have a couple of those.  But if I'm gonna share MINE, I expect a little reciprocity...means "you share too."  You can simply describe your skill but I strongly prefer a visual demonstration via photo or video.  (hey...if I can put myself out there, so can you!)

My first useless skill was inspired by my Grandma.  As a child, I was unimaginably impressed that, while cooking with her one day, she up an' said the alphabet backwards without stumbling or hesitation.  I determined to do the same.  And I do...but I have surpassed her...because I can do it fast.  I've slowed it down here so you can actually hear that I'm saying them each correctly!  My record is like...2.3 seconds.


My other useless skill:  I can recite the names of the 50 (or is it 57?) United States...in alphabetical order...in one breath. 



Wow.  I barely made it that time.  Maybe I should lay off the skinnies.

So there.  What random, useless thing can YOU do?

11 comments:

Unknown said...

I can also say the alphabet backwards really fast! And the big mac recipe two all beef patties etc. Faster backwards than most people can forwards! Genius...I did make some money in college, betting people I could say it backwards faster than they could forwards. Does that make it a useful skill?

Lori Waggoner said...

This I have to see!! Make me a video!

Monetary gain does not a skill useful make. :-)

Laura said...

I can do the 50 states in one breath too! Which I didn't even know until you said that. I wonder if I can do the books of the Bible in one breath?

I teach humanities and Greek at a classical school in Louisville, KY and we have some mutual acquaintances, by a strange coincidence! I found your blog quite by chance one day and have been reading it ever since. :)

Lori Waggoner said...

Well, hi, Laura. Nice to "meet" you! I tried the books of the Bible and I could do it! Never thought of that.

We gotta take all that classically memorized info and do SOMETHING with it, don't we?

Thanks for reading, btw.

livinginthemidwest said...

My kids were really fasinated by your talent. They kept saying "Wow". I am impressed as well. Not sure if I have a talent like that. I'll have to think on that.

Les said...

I'm still thinking...

Lori Waggoner said...

Erin, as long as I can still impress those 10 and under, I"m happy!

I guarantee you have SOME sort of useless skill. But are you willing to admit it and share it??!

Lori Waggoner said...

Les, I'm still waiting...

Robyn said...

I don't have any useless talents, (though I can recite the books of the Bible in one breath and very fast). My two birth daughters, however, have both won camp talent contests for whistling through their noses. The eldest can even whistle tunes. Wierd, huh!! They didn't get it from their mother!! :-)

Lori Waggoner said...

Robyn, what a hoot! That has to be unusual...and definitely useless! Are you SURE you can't do it? Even if you COULD, I think you're probably too dignified to have ever done it publicly!!

Alicia said...

I can sing the fast part in the middle of the song "Hook" (by Blues Traveler, you know, the part that starts, "Suck it in, suck it in, suck it in if you're Rin-Tin-Tin or Ann Boleyn...") flawlessly. (Look it up on Grooveshark.com if unfamiliar.)