Monday, September 6, 2010

Talking Politics - Oi-Vay!

I grew weary decades ago of standard political discourse.  In fact, the appellation "discourse" is much too generous as it connotes an exalted level of thought and language of which the public dialogue has been unworthy.  Even those whose conversations may be supported by a modicum of intellect and common sense, resort almost exclusively to vitriolic words and condescending tones, making their point of view unpalatable and easily-ignored.

Each political party is adept at accusing the others and pointing out their failures, but rarely is there any serious, substantial talk about the erroneous philosophies that fuel their opponent's actions.  I am not suggesting that all conversation has to be sugary sweet.  As a student and teacher of composition, I recognize Invective as a valid mode of rhetoric, especially in the world of politics, but when isolated from other meaningful aspects of discourse, it becomes petty and tiresome...like a whining, self-absorbed toddler vying for attention and gratification.

For years now I have avoided politics entirely...partly because I have an aversion to mud fights and partly because I think its importance has been over-valued among American Christians who, for generations, have expected cultural transformation to come about through the vehicle of civil government rather than through Christ's appointed means, The Church.  The primacy of The Church must be re-established before we can rightly categorize the function of politics and government.

Recently, I have begun to hear a few refreshing voices of reason and substance, whose instructive and intelligent thoughts dismantle the idea of government as we know it without taking a single "pot-shot"!  Imagine how effective it might be to lead folks to decide for themselves, based on finely-tuned, effectively-defended, graciously-presented  political philosophy, that our current ways are untenable and that there actually are ways to go about changing the destructive trajectory on which we find ourselves!

The road will not be short or easy, but few worthwhile journeys are.  Thomas Woods offers one particularly lucid and gracious voice that is piercing the darkness with a ray of light.  That ray is called "Nullification."

To be cont'...  

6 comments:

JD Linton said...

Fun.

JD Linton said...

Oh, yes, and your very political note struck a chord in this very non-political heart.

JWC said...

Lori, I have long shared your weariness of the American political scene. I would sum up my views as "I do not care for or participate in PARTY politics. It is for this reason I comment on political topics: to encourage Christians to think critically of the entire affair and to stop placing our faith in parties."

Lori Waggoner said...

David - I knew it would. :-)

Lori Waggoner said...

Jason - Yes. Yours is another of the calm, reasonable voices that I've heard recently that made me realize there IS another way!

I've missed your blogs lately... I know you've been busy, but I hope you find time to return to it!

JWC said...

Well, thanks. I have had the old nose to the grindstone for a couple of weeks, but managed to get up a post or two this weekend...