Thursday, July 7, 2011

Grati-Tuesday (on Thursday)

Although I am not a big fan of the term "dying to self"  (in my experience, it has been used primarily as a way to sound  "spiritual" but without meaning anything concrete), but insofar as it means considering other's needs before my own, preferring others in honor, and laying down my life for the benefit of others, then it is obviously a biblical idea and meditating on what dying to self might look like, is a worthy use of our gray matter. 


Anyway, I give thanks for a mom who still challenges me with things like this: 

Self-Denial
Suppose you have been neglected or unforgiven. You sting with the hurt of the insult from such an oversight, but your heart is happy because you have been counted worthy to suffer for Christ. That is what dying to self is about.

When your wishes are crossed, your advice disregarded, and your opinions ridiculed, and yet you refuse to let anger rise in your heart or try to defend yourself, you are practicing dying to self. 

When you lovingly and patiently stand face to face with folly and spiritual insensitivity, and endure it as Jesus did, you have died to self. 

When you are content with any food, money, clothing, climate, society, solitude, or interruption by the will of God, you have died to self. 

When you never care to refer to yourself in conversation, record your own good works, or desire commendation from others, you are dying to self. 

When you can honestly rejoice with a brother who has prospered and had his needs met, and never feel any envy, though your needs are greater and still unmet, you have practiced dying to self. 

When you can receive correction and reproof from one of less stature than yourself, and humbly admit he's right with no resentment or rebellion in your heart, you have died to self.


Are you dead yet?

8 comments:

Les said...

I thought I commented here.

Lori Waggoner said...

I didn't remove anything...I promise!

Les said...

That's odd. Didn't I comment that the post made me feel worse or something like that?

Lori Waggoner said...

Not on this blog you didn't! I also get copies of comments in my email box and nothing showed up there either.

Btw, it makes me feel better because this is the way I live all the time.

Les said...

I've lost my mind.

Anonymous said...

I hope I find it. I could use an extra.

Anonymous said...

Ugh--thanks for the post. Self doesn't like to be denied--at least that is my recent practice. Thank your mom for the post. Worthy reminder of how one is to live. Jo-knee

Anonymous said...

Just copied it to Word and plan to print it out to put in my Bible. Thanks. Jo-knee