Sunday, July 10, 2011

A Hymn

I have been singing the hymn, Guide Me, O Thou Great Jehovah, for most of my life.  Oftentimes when a thing becomes overly familiar, it loses some of its power to influence.  When I sing a hymn for the gazillionth time, it is quite possible for me to sing every word while my mind is entirely preoccupied with something else.  I try to be aware  of that trap and seek to intentionally pay attention even to the most familiar songs, hymns and prayers, but I am not always successful in that endeavor.  

But then there comes a time, like this morning, where suddenly I hear a memorized Scripture, song, hymn, prayer or benediction as if for the first time.  It always encourages me to know that I'm still alive!!

So many fears that I recently expressed to friends are addressed in this hymn!  HE will guide me...I am weak, but HE is mighty...HE holds me in His hand...HE will feed me until I am full...HE washes me with healing waters...HE will lead me through my entire journey...HE is my Strong Deliverer, strength and shield...

So, even if you know this hymn, listen up!  You might find yourself blessed and encouraged too...you never know.

No comments: