Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Grati-Tuesday

I give thanks to God today for my oldest son, Grant, who graced us with his presence 18 years ago.

I had no idea where this path of motherhood would take me.  I knew I wanted to walk that path more than anything, but I could not have imagined the joys and sorrows it would bring, nor the ways in which this Little One's existence would expose and change me.  I thought it was my job to form and shape HIM, not the other way around!   I didn't realize just how little I knew about life and the human spirit...

I thank God for this child - yes, Son, you're still a child - for his sense of humor, his forgiving spirit, his strong mind, his repentant heart, his leadership, his compassionate attitude, his service to those in need, his wise choice of friends (at least as far as I know! :-)...

I don't wish to imply that he's perfect...of course, he's not.  But that's another thing I appreciate about him.  He is mature enough to recognize, admit and talk openly about his shortcomings, weaknesses, and sins, both past and present.  That is a huge blessing!!

I must also return thanks to God for His faithfulness to my son, manifested by a recent fireside conversation in which Grant assured me of his absolute trust in Jesus Christ, and his desire to frame his life accordingly.  What more could a mother ask for?

Thank you, Lord, for the birth and life of Grant Ford Shaffer.

2 comments:

chris and mar said...

Lori,

Grant is a fine young man.

You are blessed to have him as your son.

Praise God that his trust is in Jesus Christ...what more could a mom ask for? Nothing.

Marilyn B.

Brandy said...

I love hearing this!