Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Harry Potter Mania

In Spring 2006, I finally joined the Harry club and began reading the books...previously, I had committed the fallacy of chronological snobbery - anything new can't possibly be THAT good (nor could anything so popular in today's culture). I assumed those around me who were raving about it were gullible and probably didn't recognize authentically-good literature. O-K, so snobbery is a bad habit of mine...I'm working on it. The best antidote is finding out you were wrong - again and again and again...

The advantage of waiting so long, was that I was able to read books I-VI back to back, within about 8 weeks. Let's just say that after Book I, I was hooked, and along with millions of others, I am eagerly anticipating July 21.

Problem is, I will be spending the weekend in Tahoe with my mother-in-law...I can't very well isolate myself and read it cover to cover, can I? I WILL however, grab a copy in the airport and begin devouring it on the plane ride home. Fortunately, my sons are still on the East Coast and I don't have to share the book until Monday evening, by which time I ought to have successfully completed it and will know everything they don't! HA!

Since everyone else is positing their predictions, I might as well give mine, right?! I have only formulated one really and it may be overly obvious...Harry will die. Profound, I know. He'll die saving one of his "enemies" (Snape, Malfoy, Dudley), and they will be transformed by his sacrifice. I tend to think Ron & Hermione will live, but one of the Weasley parents will die. That's about it. It has been fun reading some of the many speculations out there, but I will also be glad when those conversations are over and all is settled. ENJOY, ya'll!!

No comments: