Thursday, July 26, 2007

Sibling Rivalry

Cannibalization among siblings is not unprecendented in nature. Some species of crocodiles and sharks regularly participate; however, I was under the apparently-mistaken notion that I had given birth to human beings, not beasts.

I did not think it possible for disputes more petty than those I occasionally engage in with my spouse to exist...mistaken notion #2. I mean, WHO REALLY CARES who "holds" the remote control during a movie - of course, in my sons' male imaginations, this little battery-operated device seems to symbolize, not merely control of volume, but Control...of life, of destiny...a sort of modern "scepter," if you will.

When I appear on this scene, all their visions of nobility vanish, because I morph into another sort of beast - you know, the mythological kind that rises from the sea with fiery eyes, flailing tentacles, and primordial screams - and proceed to dethrone them both.

My motives in this are pure, though. Don't you know that the best way to teach anything, including repentance, is to model it? I'm just creating opportunities...that's all...really...

"But if you bite and devour one another, watch out that you are not consumed by one another." Galatians 5

No comments: