Monday, July 30, 2007

Car Talk

Here is a sort of low-level "Socratic" dialogue that took place between my sons in the car a couple days ago: (G is 13, E is 11)
G: Look at that bumper sticker - "Anybody but Hillary 2008" That's great!
E: Who's Hillary?
G: Bill Clinton's wife...she's running for president.
E: That's stupid. Women can't be president.
G: Yes, they can. Why do you say that?
E: Because man was created first and is supposed to be the ruler.
G: So does that mean a woman can't run a company, or be boss over a man under any circumstances?
E: I guess so...man is the ruler. It says it right there in the Bible.
G: Where does the Bible say that a woman can't have any authority?
E: In Genesis...Adam was created first, then Eve, and he was supposed to rule everything. I mean, c'mon, it's pretty obvious. Sheesh...
G: Eric, don't get mad...I just want you to defend your position.
E: The Bible doesn't need to be defended...it defends itself. It's God's Word, you know. It doesn't have any errors.
G: That's true, but its O-K to try and defend it...
E: Just forget it, Grant. I still think it doesn't need defending. I mean, you either believe it or you don't.
G: That's true that it doesn't have to be defended, but not everybody believes the Bible or the same thing about the Bible, so it's good to be able to defend your position strongly. I was just reading Aristotle the other day and he constantly put himself through questioning, even on things he knew he believed. He tried to answer every possible objection and he didn't take anything for granted but questioned it all - just so he knew his foundation was strong and he could defend his beliefs. That's not a bad thing...it doesn't mean you don't believe what the Bible says.
What fun to listen to them!
Imagine what their conversations will be like in a couple years when the younger acquires further knowledge and learns how to debate!

10 comments:

Mark said...

That's nice, but you do know you put their full names in the dialogue right?

And I can't believe you have a blog and didn't tell me.

Does Jennifer know?

Anonymous said...

I would like some commentary on the content of their conversation.

P.S. Yes. I knew she had a blog. I just didn't tell you! ;)

Anonymous said...

Mark - it is o-k to call you by your full name, right? Yes, I do know I did that, but SOME people plaster PICTURES of their kids all over THEIR blogs...a-hem...

I didn't know if advertising my blog was self-promotion or not...it's kind of like saying, "Listen to me, I'm interesting!" So, I just told Jeff and that's all it took!

Sorry your wife doesn't communicate with you. You guys should really join our SS class...it's about marriage...you might find it helpful.

Jennifer,
Here's my commentary: They're both wrong!

No, really, I did get involved at the point where I ended it on the blog, but what this forty-something-year-old had to say wasn't nearly as interesting as the wee ones. I love when they try to talk grown-up with one another and to hear Grant attempting to sharpen Eric was pretty cool.

Anonymous said...

I agree that the conversation was pretty cool. I was just curious about your thoughts.

RE: SS, we can't join the class, we're teaching the wee ones! Hopefully our marriage will survive.

Anonymous said...

Actually, there is a simple explanation...I raised Grant and Steve is raising Eric!

Mark said...

Lori, some bloggers just use numbers or otherwise try to salvage some privacy in the blogosphere. I thought that might be your intention....

Splitting up the children.... I think I would be losing if we now went halvsies.

hornes.org/mark

Randy said...

Lori, just found your blog. Robert W told me about it. Got a kick out of the G/E conversation! Am I really going to have to get a blog now? Naw, I leave it to you....

April said...

Lori,
That conversations makes my children seem retarded....all they talk about is Harry Potter.

Lori Waggoner said...

April, even your posts about my posts make me LOL!!!

Lori Waggoner said...

BTW, April, their conversation makes ME feel retarded!! I mean, c'mon..."the other day I was reading Aristotle..." O, please!!