Thursday, August 30, 2007

Beautiful Children's Books

I am STILL working on putting the house back together after the floor re-finishing project...a couple of years ago I wouldn't have slept until it was complete, but now I am doing a little here and a little there. As I was re-shelving some of the children's books the other day, I was reminded of the delight and beauty of so many of these picture books we own. So, I thought I would share a few of my favorites with you...they have been chosen because of their illustrations, though most of them are worthy stories, as well. In some cases, I have linked to an illustrator whose entire body of work is noteworthy.

King Midas & the Golden Touch - K.Y. Craft kycraft.com

Rumplestiltskin - Paul O'Zelinsky paulozelinsky.com

The Nicene Creed - Pauline Baynes

Fables of LaFontaine - Gustave Dore (this guy created black & white engravings for numerous classics...including the Bible, The Divine Comedy, Perrault's Fairy Tales, Paradise Lost, Don Quixote, etc.)

St. George & the Dragon - Trina Schart Hyman

Aesop's Fables - Jerry Pinkney

Snow White - Charles Santore

The Brave Little Tailor - Olga Dugina & Andrej Dugin

Moses - Gennady Spirin (I can't seem to link, but try him on Amazon...he has dozens of gorgeous books!)

The Creation Story - Norman Messenger

The Spider & the Fly - Tony DiTerlizzi (absolutely GENIUS!!!)

If... - Sarah Perry (a riot!)

Mr. Peabody's Apples - Loren Long (yes, it is a collaboration with Madonna, and in spite of her, it is a wonderful MORAL fable! Never thought I'd use the words "Madonna" and "moral" in the same sentence!)

Those are just a few of the illustrators I love! Check 'em out online or at your local library! ENJOY!!

1 comment:

Mr. Dad said...

Do you also have a copy of the beautifully illustrated "Dangerous Journey" — an abridged version of Bunyan's "Pilgrim's Progress?" It was one of Michael's favorite books as a small boy (whenever that was). He used to ask me, out of all the possible books, to read to him from that book at bedtime. I'm sure it was because of his intense interest in the elaborate drawings of "Apollyon" and "Doubting Castle" and "Hill Difficulty" and the "Slough of Despond," but he was, after all, asking me to READ it to him, so ultimately there was some benefit derived in more ways that we might know.