Thursday, August 16, 2007

Sleepless in St. Louis

I sleep so little, that typically, once I fall into that blissful oblivion, I don't stir until the alarm goes off...not so tonight, or should I say this morning? I awakened at 2:22 a.m. and an hour later, find my mind so active I can't fall back asleep.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
We had dinner "guests" last night for a sort of "last supper" celebration/mourning. My dearest friend for the last 12 years is sending her oldest off to college...it's a beautiful thing to watch these children grow up. His leaving has prompted all sorts of emotions I didn't expect...I have been perusing our family picture albums looking for photos of him through the years. I have the most adorable picture of him at age 5 wearing an Aladdin costume I made for his birthday...precious! Suddenly, I find that those sentimental-and-somewhat-cheesy lyrics "turn around and you're 2, turn around and you're 4, turn around and you're a young man going out of the door" bring tears to my eyes! What's happening to me?! I can only imagine what his mom must be feeling.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
I guess we old folk realize that this is the end of an era...their family and home will never be exactly the same again. This young man brings a vitality to all our family conversations...he participates easily (and entertainingly) in any dialogue, whether about theology, vacations, philosophy of education, baseball, politics, literature, ETC...he will be sorely missed.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
It is also the beginning of an era. He is heading off to Chattanooga - the absolute BEST college town - and I know many delights are in store for him (like hiking, rappelling, hang gliding, coffee shops, Riverbend, great folk concerts...oh yeah, and studying!). This, afterall, is the culmination of all those years of training - we don't raise them to keep them under our wings, but to go away confident and strong with a vision for making a difference in the world. I envision him now, instead of following all of us grown-ups, walking beside us...may he do so in a manner worthy of his calling in Christ Jesus! He will continue to be a blessing to many.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
My prayer for him: "That our Father, according to the riches of his glory, may grant you to be strengthened with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your heart through faith - that you, being rooted and grounded in love, may have strength to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth, and to know the love of Christ that surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled with all the fullness of God." (Eph 2) O-K, I am all cried out...for now. We love you, Alex! The LORD be with you.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Though I don't know Alex that well, I appreciate all that you said here. I especially appreciate how much his leaving is touching you--his long-time neighbor, fellow Church member, elder sister-in-Christ. This is the way we should feel when our covenant children are moving on--a little sad because they will be missed, and proud and hopeful for all God has in store for them. Because of your post I will be reminded in the coming weeks to pray for him and the others I know of who are moving on to the next phases of their lives.

April said...

Ditto to what Jennifer said. It is hard to watch our children make the leap from childhood to adulthood, but so wonderful when we know they are walking out the door well equiped and ready for new challenges.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, girls...we're all closer to this in our own families than we probably realize!

Anonymous said...

Oh no Lori. I am terrified that I have only 7 short years until I watch my oldest go out the door. I am actually praying he'll have some place to go and want to go. Then, after he goes, the next 2 will be right on his heals. Once the first one hits 10, you realize how fast time really goes. Pray. Pray. Pray!