Monday, August 20, 2007

No Starving Minds Here!

Benjamin Franklin once quipped: "Reading feeds the brain; it is evident most minds are starving to death." If he is right, then my children, who usually have fairly ambitious reading lists for school, will soon have "obesity-of-the-brain" syndrome. I attempt to read any books on their lists with which I am unfamiliar. Here is what the 13-year-old will read this year. The ones in green are the only ones I have read in their entirety: it's gonna be a busy year for ME!!

Attributes of God

Bondage of the Will

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn

The Courtship of Miles Standish

The Scarlet Letter

Billy Budd

Walden

Leaves of Grass

Ethan Frome

Death Comes for the Archbishop

The Great Gatsby

As I Lay Dying

The Old Man & the Sea

The Complete Stories of Flannery O'Connor

To Kill A Mockingbird

The first two are for theology class (the school is providing 3 additional books...), while the rest are for Humanities where, as you can probably tell, they are focusing this year on American history.

"Books are the food of youth; a delight at home; no hindrance abroad; companions at night, in travel. Indeed, no wise man ought ever to be found apart their company." Cicero

3 comments:

Bobber said...

Nice paragraphs in this post.

Anonymous said...

I am forever indebted to you, Mr. Bobber!

Anonymous said...

I really like Willa Cather's work, but I have had a hard time getting into Death Comes for the Archbishop. It looks like a great reading list, though. Have a good time keeping up (or ahead?) of the class.