Sunday, August 5, 2007

You Are What You Feel

Tonight I took my sons to see "Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat" at the St. Louis Muny. Here is our family review:
ME:
When I first heard of this musical years ago, I was offended by the very name of it...however, since then, I have become more culturally "enlightened" and less legalistic. Sooo...I showed up tonight expecting to enjoy it thoroughly; afterall, several friends recommended it - HIGHLY! You can imagine my consternation when, about 5 lines into first song I hear this:
"We all dream a lot - some are lucky, some are not
But if you think it, want it, dream it, then it's real,
You are what you feel!"
I'm afraid my derisive, gag-me-with-a-sentimental-spoon moan was audible for rows...oops! O-K, so even if this hadn't been, IMHO (if there is such a thing!), serious descecration of the Holy Words of Yahweh, the sappy nature alone would have made me ill.
I decided to ask my children what they thought before I expressed my aforementioned, humble opinions to them, and boy was I glad I did! I asked them to tell me what they liked and disliked. Here's what I got......
ERIC:
It was O-K...I thought they made Joseph too proud at the beginning and I don't think that was accurate.
"I look handsome, I look smart, I am a walking work of art."
Pretty much from that point, I knew it wasn't going to be true to the Bible account, so I just told myself not to expect it. And I didn't like the part about "Any Dream Will Do" 'cause that's just not true.
GRANT:
I really liked all the different styles of music...the music was great! The "Elvis" part was hilarious. But from the beginning they said that part about "if you dream it" or something..."you are what you feel"... they took the whole story and made it all about a boy fulfilling his dream and if you just don't give up you can make your dream come true. I think they take all the stuff about God and the real meaning of the story out 'cause they don't want to offend anyone...(he sounded like he thought that was fine, so I HAD to ask!) No, I don't think it's O-K, but I understand why they did it. I mean, God told the story the way He wanted it told, and it's the very Word of God, so we shouldn't just do whatever we want with it. (Phew!!) But the music was awesome!
So, all in all, I think my children are way ahead of me...they are already learning, on some level, how to take every thought captive to the obedience of Christ, while still being able to recognize and even enjoy the laudable elements of a work of art. At least they are not so immersed in the appeal to their senses that they are incapable of identifying ideas and worldviews behind them.
The show, as entertainment, was superb...a visual feast...colorful...well-choreographed...comedic...but tragically devoid of God's profound and beautiful truth!

No comments: