Wednesday, April 23, 2008

A Dose of Humility

Most of the time I assume that I am a relatively intelligent human being. Then I go and do something stupid like try to read Peter Leithart's Deep Comedy.

You know, it's one thing for me to admit that there are things I don't KNOW. All of us are aware that there is knowledge to which we have not yet been exposed, or to which our exposure has been so slight that we haven't retained any measurable data. There are manifold times, places and ideas with which I am wholly unfamiliar. That's one thing.

But, to attempt to access new knowledge which is beyond my ability to COMPREHEND, now that's humbling! I find myself delighting when there are at least one or two sentences per page that actually make sense to me! I do think I am catching the overall idea for which Mr. Leithart is arguing, but will probably be incapable of articulating it 2 months from now, since I neither grasp many of his comparisons nor understand much of his defense.

Of course, that lack of comprehension won't keep me from attempting to summarize the big idea....when I finish the book, that is.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

;) and you think we will understand it?

Lori Waggoner said...

Well, it won't be intellectually out of reach, for sure. Whether or not that translates into understandability depends on my ability to communicate...we could be in trouble here!

jennifer h said...

I think Peter is one of the most intelligent people in the world. I know he is in the top ten of those I know personally. When I visit his blog, I pick and choose a lot because I know I am not going to get most of what he says.

I am impressed with your commitment to finishing, and I look forward to your summary/review.

Lori Waggoner said...

I'd be curious to know who else ranks in your top ten...anyone I know?

As to finishing...well, it's a short book! If it were quite lengthy, I might just give up!