Wednesday, June 10, 2009

I Have a Dream 2

So here's my next dream, and probably one of my longest-standing:

This dream could happen in this house, or any old 1.5 to 2-story house with character and charm. This particular one appeals to me because of its location in downtown Kirkwood and because of its size. It also happens to be next door to my favorite steak joint: Citizen Kanes.

I would convert this house into a book store! Most of the books would be used and the shop would have that distinctive and glorious smell of musty old paper.

Wood floors...well-appointed furnishings...a cozy atmosphere...and a smiling face would be standard fare.

A children's reading room would be a necessity, as well as a weekly story-hour for the little ones. No pop culture books in here...only the timeless stories with which every child should be familiar.

A smoking room would also be required...you know, a place for the seminary students and old men to recline in leather chairs and light their cigars while feasting on some deep-dish theology or history. I envision this as a gathering room...for book discussions - maybe even some hearty debate - accompanied by dark beer, port or scotch.

A tea and coffee room for the ladies would be nice too. A light, airy, French country decor where a mom can get away for an hour and lose herself in Jane Eyre after a long day's work with the children.

Other than that, wall after wall after wall after wall of beautiful floor-to-ceiling shelving full of worthwhile literature, history, philosophy and theology. A veritable paradise...

Dream BIG...that's what they say!

8 comments:

Brandy said...

Do it and I will come shop there! I love the house and the kid room, smoking room, and old musty paper smell.

Lori Waggoner said...

I'll let you know if it becomes a reality, Brandy!!

Anonymous said...

"I Have a Dream"

You could call it what everybody really wants to call their house (now a bookstore)—"Dream House"—with books to reward and fill up the "dreams" of those coming there to read, relax, and fellowship. There's already a "Magic House" in Kirkwood, so why not a (Your) "Dream House" also?

Trina Waggoner said...

Oh Lori.....
Would you read to me too? As far as the smoking room for seminary studens and Old MEN, how about an OLD Woman like me sitting and enjoying a cigar??! Also, I bet you read as well as you write and tell your DREAMS!! I promise I would interupt much with LOTS of questions!! ps. I would even let you scold me on my GRAMMER!! Loooov ya soooooo much!

jennifer h said...

I know a curmudgeon who would be willing to become a regular fixture there.

Lori Waggoner said...

You guys are great!

Trina! I suppose on certain evenings, an OLD WOMAN might be allowed in the smoking room! And OF COURSE I'd read to you!! Really and truly, we would definitely have public readings...there's nothing like being read to...even as an adult! C'mon girl! Join me.

Jennifer...I would count on your curmudgeon AND HIS WIFE being regular fixtures!!

Anonymous said...

Mrs. Shaffer,
WHEN this becomes a reality, you will definitely find me there. You'll have a poetry section, right? Your post is sparking a few dreams of my own...

-Madeline

Lori Waggoner said...

You know, Mads. I realized at some point yesterday that I had forgotten to mention a poetry section...and let me tell you dear...there WILL be poetry!!

Wanna work for me?