Monday, June 1, 2009

For Want of Wit: 5

So, get this. I'm not a dog person.
I imagine that by now the great majority of you already know that. But do you know WHY I don't like them? Do the words dirty, demanding and dependent mean anything to you? (and smelly, but that doesn't fit with my nicely alliterated list, now does it?)

However...being the loving, gracious wife and mother than I am (ahem...), I once agreed to allow the Shaffer Dad to acquire a dog for our son, Eric, for his birthday. Not just any dog, mind you. But a very expensive, non-shedding Wheaten Terrier...from New York. My husband had to fly there to get him, then drive him all the way back to St. Louis.

We named him Winston...after Winston Churchill, of course. Isn't he sooo stinkin' cute?

And filthy...and smelly...and stubborn. And MUCH larger than he is supposed to be! And he looooves ME, of course.

Or at least he did love me...until he was 6 months old and I couldn't take it anymore and I sent him away. Yeah...you heard correctly. My darling husband drove him back to New York to place him in a suitable home. He had to get the official Wheaten haircut before we returned him...he's still kinda cute, isn't he?

By the way, did you catch the full impact of what I just said? I SENT MY SON'S DOG AWAY!! The morning Steve loaded him in the car and headed back to NY was one of the worst mornings of my life. I am eternally indebted to my children and perpetually digging myself out of a pit of guilt. What was I thinking?
STUPID!

3 comments:

jennifer h said...

Ah, Winston. So cute. Calvin saw the picture and said, "Hey, we should go hunt him down."

At least you can feel like you were an instrument in God's plan regarding Simon. Despite the negatives, we love him a lot and are thankful for such a nice family dog.

Lori Waggoner said...

You're jumping ahead, Jennifer! Simon is tomorrow's post!!

Rhonda said...

So, Lori. You certainly are baiting me with the previous post and this one. Hmmmm...I'm thinking...I'm thinking...