Thursday, June 18, 2009

I Have a Dream 3

Scarlet & Finery

That would be the name of my other dream. Has a nice little ring to it, don't you think? This storefront gift shop would sell one-of-a-kind handmade treasures. Like Tracy's jewelry, Becky's cards, Denise's calligraphy, Ami's costumes, Rachel's cakes, Hannah's knitting...and all other sorts of unique creations! Every item would be crafted by myself or someone I know personally...nothing ordered from abroad or produced for mass consumption.

The opening of the front door would activate an old-fashioned bell and each customer's senses would be instantly engaged. Soothing music, the smell of cinnamon & coffee, every wall, table, nook and cranny - full of color and texture - a feast for the eyes and imagination!

I can see it now: beaded wine bottle covers, wine glass markers, aprons, curtains, afghans, photographs, refinished furniture, paintings, tablecloths, Christmas ornaments, candles, pottery, stationery, purses, needlework, scarves, hats...you get the idea! Home decor and accessories that are the stuff of beauty and luxury! This is not a place that would attract many male customers...except those rare few who know how to gift their wives. But it would be a favorite stop for bridal or baby showers, for a friend's birthday, for that hard-to-buy-for Mother-in-law, or for that small personal indulgence.

Are you with me? Sorry guys. This one wasn't for you...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Melanie's cards and Joanie's stitchin' too. Joanie

Anonymous said...

Male gender "profiling?"

Trina Waggoner said...

Oh, if I ever learn the art of blowing glass, may I add something to " Scarlet & Finery"??? Now, that is Dream 1....such wonderful ideas Lori!!

Lori Waggoner said...

Joanie - Yes! Yes!

Anonymous - this may come as a surprise to you, but I have zero qualms with gender profiling. God help us when we can no longer find sufficient distinctions for profiling!!

Trina - absolutely NO BLOWN GLASS, Sister! That's where I draw the line. This isn't Disney World, you know.

Trina Waggoner said...

NOT mermaids Dear, or elephants...I'm talking VASES, hand blown bowls.....ART!!! Beautiful COLORS.......I do have alittle taste MY DEAR!!!! GEE Thanks!!

Lori Waggoner said...

Trina. I apologize profusely. You're in, girlfriend!!