Monday, November 23, 2009

Leisurely Womans Daybook

Outside my window...White, twinkling icicle lights frame my house. The Shaffer boys purchased and hung these as a surprise for me while I was on my "Girls Weekend." I'm becoming quite the old sap, but when I came over the rise and first saw our house, I cried.

From the kitchen...pig candy. Ever had it? It's bacon piled high with brown sugar and baked until carmelized (preferably thick sliced, smoked, with the edges caked with cracked pepper). Absolutely divine!

Around the house...I came home from a weekend with the girls to a house that was CLEANER than I left it...which, in one sense, isn't saying much, since I left it pretty messy and dirty...but in another sense is saying everything, since I left it in the hands of the 3 Shaffer males!

A favorite thing...The Holidays! November through January have traditionally been my happiest times of the year. I love all the hype surrounding Christmas...afterall, it is the origin of our greatest joys, is it not? I find that all the traditions energize me because they support, rather than detract from, the atmosphere of festivity that is perfectly appropriate to rejoicing in the coming of our Deliverer.

I am thinking...that I'm glad the Lord has graced me with numerous Christian friends who are gracious, mature and self-sacrificial in their love for me.

I am wearing...One of many new additions to my wardrobe from a weekend shopping at the lake...a modern version of a gray turtleneck sweater and matchstick jeans.

I am hearing...legendary guitar player, Chet Atkins. This gentleman ranks right up there with Doc Watson, Leo Kottke, John Pizzarelli and Andre Segovia, as one of the premier guitarists of all time.

I am reading...still working through "All My Holy Mountain."

I am creating...starting today (a little late) to design our family Christmas card. I haven't sent them for about 3 years now and really hope to make it happen this time. We'll see...

Plans for my week...get back on my diet after a weekend of feasting on every possible delicacy known to womankind! Cook for Thanksgiving: pumpkin pie, pecan pie, sweet potatoes, and cranberry salad...hopefully for the pleasure of good friends who have taken us in for the day. Decorate the house for Christmas!!

A photo/video I am sharing...an image from Christmas past:

No comments: