Tuesday, November 24, 2009

The Sociology of Starbucks 2

Engrossed in my book, I sit comfortably enfolded in the upholstered orange chair, just minding my own business, when a man about my age (a sprite, young fellow...) who has papers, books and a laptop spread out all over his table, gets up and addresses me.

"You gonna be here a couple minutes?" he inquires.

He wasn't the creepy or flirtatious sort, so I answer, "Yes."

"OK," he replies.

End of conversation.

He walks off, presumably to the bathroom, since there's no other place to go within the Starbucks. He doesn't ask me to watch his stuff or anything like that, which strikes me as odd. What could possibly motivate a complete stranger to randomly announce, "Hey, I'm gonna use the toilet. Just wanna make sure you'll still be sitting there reading your book when I return from using the toilet."

I don't know. Is there anything about me that communicates that I'm friendly and actually care? I think not. I tend to be the stand-offish, I-don't-know-you-so-don't-speak-to-me type.

Maybe this really is his lame attempt at a pick-up line.

Maybe he requires and is hoping to get a motherly reminder: "Don't forget to wash your hands when you're finished, Sonny!"

Maybe he's afraid of dying in the bathroom if no one knows he's there.

Maybe he's an undercover cop setting me up to see if I'll steal his goods. Ooooh...

All I know, is that he returns to his seat and never says another word to me...doesn't even thank me for guarding his valuables! Well, well. And they say women are a mystery?

No comments: