Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Wordsmith Wednesday

"One of these things is not like the other, one of these things does not belong." 

Can you accurately guess which one?  

1a.  equanimity
1b.  aplomb
1c.  sangfroid
1d.  quintessence

2a.  obdurate
2b.  intractable
2c.  objectionable
2d.  unyielding

3a.  compel
3b.  reproach
3c.  objurgate
3d.  upbraid

4a.  penurious
4b.  grandiloquent
4c.  parsimonious
4d.  niggardly

5a.  recalcitrant
5b.  dispassionate
5c.  apathetic
5d.  disinterested

6a.  disputatious
6b.  petulant
6c.  illicit
6d.  belligerant

7a.  solicitous
7b.  laudatory
7c.  conciliatory
7d.  complaisant

8a.  beset
8b.  besiege
8c.  beleaguer
8d.  bequeath

9a.  appropriate
9b.  ascertain
9c.  usurp
9d.  commandeer

10a.  dubious
10b.  tractable
10c.  amenable
10d.  acquiescent

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Straight up with no assistance. I hope I get at least 7/10:

1d
2a
3a
4b
5a
6c
7d
8d
9b
10a

Lori Waggoner said...

If you were hoping for 7/10, you'll be happy to know that you scored 8/10!

paul.schmidt said...

I saw your Facebook message and felt I should at least try to quickly fill it out:

1d
2c
3a
4b
5a
6c
7b
8d
9b
10a

I hope I didn't rush it too much. If there is a mistake let's assume it is a miss-type and I completely knew the correct answer.

Lori Waggoner said...

Guilt is a powerful motivator. Or not. Since you're the only one I successfully guilted into participating! I'll put the answers up later tonight. :)

Nathan said...

1d
2c
3a
4b
5a
6b
7b
8d
9b
10a

Ps. did you misspell beseige? Shouldn't it be besiege?

Lori Waggoner said...

Jason - you missed #'s 2 & 7.

Nathan (Koller? Keane? Other?) - you missed #7. And thanks for the spelling correction...you were absolutely right.

Answers:

1d
2c
3a
4b
5a
6c
7b
8d
9b
10a

Thanks for humoring me, you three. :)