Monday, January 24, 2011

My First E-Novel

I was in the living room one evening when it hit me suddenly.  The lamp, I mean.

I had just replaced a burned-out light bulb.  The hideous Victorian gold-fringed lampshade looked even worse illuminated.  As I took a step back, wondering whether I should replace the lamp instead of the bulb, my leg bumped the side table.  I made a grab for my coffee mug as it began to topple over, not realizing that my shoe had snapped the lamp's cord.  Down came the lamp with a crash.  Shards of light bulb scattered in every direction.  The mug was knocked out of my hand and fell with a thud onto the wood floor, leaving a trail of hot coffee as it rolled under the couch. 

So begin the adventures of writer and notorious klutz, Vivian, in My Life Behind the Brick Wall

In her first full-length published novel, Ms. Angie Brennan has skillfully woven a comic tale about the serious business of everyday life.  Her characters - the meddling mother, the narcissistic neighbor, the hopelessly romantic sister, the pessimistic grandmother, the benevolent aunt - are instantly familiar because they are characters we have encountered in real life.  

Ms. Brennan's humorous portrayal of the ordinary events of life and relationships - irritating co-workers at a less-than-fulfilling job, Thanksgiving dinner with extended family, both unwanted and desperately desired romantic overtures - left me laughing out loud and drove me to finish the book within 24 hours.  

While "moral lessons" could easily be extrapolated, I don't believe that was Ms. Brennan's point (correct me if I'm wrong, Angie!).  For me, the point was quite simply the delight of a good story well told.  And that alone made it worth my time.

Order your e-copy today...relax...and enjoy!

1 comment:

Angie B. said...

Thanks for reading and reviewing, Lori!

You're absolutely right: my main point wasn't to make a big point, but to write a story that amused me (and, hopefully, others).

I did have a few tip-of-the-hats to Pride and Prejudice. Did you notice? The sometimes-flighty mother desperate for her daughters to marry; the father who enjoys teasing his wife (perhaps not always admirably....letting her be persecuted by Gran, for example). We also have Meyton College (the fictional town is Meryton in P&P). And Colin is, very roughly, my Mr. Collins---heavy on the ego; neither can quite get it through his head that he's being rejected by his wooing target.

Also, I had some symbolism going on with one of the character's new last name, but I don't want to give anything away for someone who might want to read it.

But, yeah, the main idea was to have fun, and I'm glad it made you lol. Thanks again for the shout-out!!