Monday, January 24, 2011

Nullification

I generally avoid talking politics.  But you all already know that.  It's not so much that I find the topic irrelevant, as it is that I find it exacerbating beyond belief!  The falsification of facts, the vitriolic rhetoric, the hypocrisy and inconsistency, the finger-pointing, the lack of common sense and decent discourse...on and on it goes.  I become overly emotional and emphatic if I think on it too long, so I generally avoid it altogether. 

HOWEVER...Thomas Woods came along and wrote a book too intriguing for me to avoid.  The concept made perfect sense to me and I wanted to learn more about it.  That concept is: NULLIFICATION.

Woods makes a well-reasoned, historically-based argument for states to employ this practice in the face of federal tyranny.  Simply put, nullification is the legal means by which a state can declare null and void any law established by the federal government which is outside of the carefully prescribed, constitutional boundaries which they have been specifically assigned.  Which is pretty much about 98 percent of legislation since the early 20th century!  See, there I go getting all emotional and opinionated!

Woods provides excellent commentary on the need for nullification, but his best decision was to include a number of primary source documents which present extensive, hotly-debated, highly sophisticated, arguments about the role of the federal vs. the state government.  

The subject has been elevated to the forefront in our day because we are FINALLY beginning to recognize that the states have acquiesced for much too long, making ourselves subservient to the point of virtual irrelevance.  

Whether or not you are politically inclined, I encourage you to explore the concept...and Woods' book is an excellent place to start. 

No comments: