Thursday, January 13, 2011

A Unique Breed

Wrestlers are a unique breed.   I admit, I was not exactly thrilled when my youngest declared this his sport of choice.  Gross, I thought.  Why in the world would you want to roll around on the mat with another sweaty, smelly guy?  Seriously.  That was my opinion of the sport.

My attitude has changed more than a little over the past several months as I've watched my boy, on his own initiative, develop self-discipline in the areas of eating and working out...self-discipline which has spilled over into his school work.  Through wrestling, he is building a mindset of doing the hard things even when he doesn't feel like it.  That's a pretty important life lesson.  (Am I too old to start wrestling?)

I shouldn't be surprised.  This is a child who, underneath his pleasant disposition, has always had the heart of a soldier, a fighter, a protector, a hero.  This serves him well on the mat.  Yes, winning a match has much to do with physical strength and strategy, but it also has very much to do with strength of will.

As I watch these young men wrestle, and see the ways in which they attempt to subdue one another, I recognize the extreme self-control required.  I could never do it.  If someone wrenched my arm behind my back that way, legal or not, I'm afraid I'd reach around and slug 'em in the jaw!  But a wrestler learns to suppress that anger and channel it in a productive direction.  That has to be good for the character!

The other surprising revelation for me is that there seems to be a greater sense of comradery and team spirit among these guys - in what is considered an individual sport - than I've ever seen on my boys' football, basketball or baseball teams.  Seems these other athletes were often vying for personal recognition more than for one another as a team.  The wrestlers, at least at my son's school, have developed a real brotherhood.  They look out for, help, and encourage one another and it is common for the older ones to take the younger under their wings and mentor them.

I no longer see wrestling as just a bunch of sweaty guys rolling around on a mat, but as a legitmate avenue of building character and friendship.  I can now say without shame, "My son is a wrestler!" 

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Wrestling against flesh and blood has benefits. Sport as the teacher by analogy is one. Bonding a mom to her son a little deeper is another. Good post.

Rich K. said...

Lori, excellent post...you've captured the essence of why wrestlers are a unique breed of an athlete. The sport teaches much more than the technical skills to compete. Many character traits, life lessons, and personal values are gained from this sport. Your post really touches the heart of why wrestlers form this special bond you mention. They understand what they go through to be a wrestler. It is unlike any other sport, and that bond lasts a lifetime. I hope you enjoy the thought below.

-- A Wrestler’s Legacy:
A wrestler is an athlete above all others. His destiny is one of courage, devotion, and perseverance. He must have the bravery to meet his opponent alone in battle when others want to stand to the rear. He must have the dedication to excel when others want to quit. He must endure through the trials of training and competition when others want to sit. It is these traits and experiences that cause a wrestler to weep…not him, but for others who will never comprehend the sacrifices that shaped him into much more than an athlete, and into a man prepared to champion life.
REK 2002

Lori Waggoner said...

Beautifully said, REK. :-) (I thought perhaps you would concur...)