Thursday, September 3, 2009

Curiosities

Curious sights/observations from the previous 24 hours:

1 - In the parking lot at Schnucks, the local grocery, I saw an elderly lady - no less than 70 years of age - wearing a pair of capri sweats with the word "LIFEGUARD" across the derriere. Seriously. I remember how disturbed I was when the young gals started wearing those things. You want the full effect of my reaction? Imagine your grandmother wearing those pants. Disturbing. In a comical sort of way...

2 - One or two nights per week, I head on over to the local pub to write and watch Cardinals games (while indulging a couple of my vices...true). I have noticed that an inordinate number of very short men frequent the place. At least 80 percent of the males who darken the door are shorter than average. Really. I wonder what that means...

3 - I am increasingly bored with my walking route, so today I decided to get my miles in at Laumeier Sculpture Park - a home for monstrous compilations of steel and concrete otherwise known as "visual art" to the open-minded among us - and noticed, for the first time, the explanations of the "artwork" in Braille. Think about it.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Explanations of artwork in Braille makes a teeny bit more sense than the Braille translation of directions at the drive-up ATM. At least the blind person can walk up to the art piece. But both are examples of the ADA gone silly.

MeeMaw YaYa said...

So I guess you saw Stevie Wonder's powerful tribute to Michael Jackson:

....... .. … … ... …..
.. . . … . . . . . .. . .. …. .. .. . … ..
... .... .. ... .... ... ... .... ...... ... ... ... .... ..... .. .
.. . . … .. .. . . ..

The part where he said “. .. . . . .. .. … .. .. . . .... ....” was particularly moving to me.

Lori Waggoner said...

Jennifer...lol...I never noticed. But I will NOW!

Rhonda, you are SOOO bad!!! But I already knew that...

Lori Waggoner said...

And by the way, Rhonda...can't you totally see Juanita with LIFEGUARD plastered across her tush?

MeeMaw YaYa said...

Now look who's bad...dissing my mother like that. (I am burning those pants as I speak...er, write)

Trina Wagoner said...

It is 3am and I am LOL at all of your comments...chuckle...chuckle!