Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Guy Clark Concert

On Friday afternoon, we drove a couple hours from home to a charming old lodge in the middle of nowheresville to hear singer/songwriter Guy Clark and his sidekick, Verlon Thompson, perform. Wildwood Springs Lodge is quaint and rustic...shared bathrooms, painted wood floors, concrete showers...but is surrounded by a screened in porch with lovely views, accessible from our room, and a feeling of old-time hospitality pervades the place. Check out their website and their lineup of musicians. It's pretty amazing.

Before the performance, we enjoyed a surprisingly elegant dinner of asparagus, sweet potatoes, brown rice, stuffed tilapia and crown roast pork with raspberry sauce. The highlight of the meal was , of course, the dessert! We had choices, but I made the right one and enjoyed the best bread pudding I've ever had...hands down. Though my intention upon ordering was to merely taste it, not one bite remained. Absolute perfection.

Guy & Verlon performed in the lodge's "lobby" standing in front of the giant fireplace with 80-90 chairs set up around the room. 2 old guys and their acoustic guitars...nothing more. The setting and acoustics were ideal for his rough, gravelly voice and his down-to-earth, storytelling songs. We sat in the third of about 8 rows. It was almost like having him in your home for a personal performance.


INTERMISSION: The Cardinals had a chance to clinch their division that night, so during intermission, those of us who cared, crowded around the single TV at the bar to watch the game. Apparently Shaf felt inclined to take a picture of me...watching the game...from behind. I'll refrain from telling you what the owner nicknamed him, but suffice it to say, they don't draw a lot of folks my age. I brought the average age waaay down...in fact, I may have been one of 5 or 6 who were under 50 (and 2 of them are in this photo with me!).



Mr. Clark is 68 years old, but looks and acts a great deal older. Not only did he forget his lyrics several times that night, he was in a great deal of pain and could barely walk. He's sort of a crotchety old fellow, as you can see from the photo below. My husband didn't tell me he was gonna grab the guy and take our picture together or I would've stopped him! You can see how thrilled he was to oblige. :-) Oh well...I look happy anyway. And I was. His music makes me smile.


The only "disappoinment" - and a very mild one - was that he performed 10 songs from his brand new album (released last week) which left less time for the old favorites. But the new ones were good enough to entice me to purchase the new album that night. I'm also gonna have to find some of Thompson's music. Check him out here.

We will make every effort to return to this place...with friends next time!

7 comments:

ScottyWaynePulley said...

Hi Lori,

I could not find a means to email you on here. For that I am sorry in that this reply has nothing to do with this post. Thank you for keeping Karen alive on your blog. I would love to speak with you. swpstl@charter.net. I am Karen's youngest cousin. I Live in St. Louis.

thank you
Scotty Pulley

Trina Waggoner said...

OH', to be one fo your "friends" so you can return to this place....hee-hee ;-).

Lori Waggoner said...

Trina...no rednecks allowed. :-)

Lori Waggoner said...

Hi, Scott. Sorry...I thought I had given you my email address a year or so ago. I know the anniversary of Karen's death has just passed, so I'm sure that always revives your thoughts of her.

If you'd still like to contact me, I can be reached at lorishaf@sbcglobal.net.

Trina Waggoner said...

With those pants you were wearing, I figured this Redneck could attend...hee-hee, and next time I'll let ya borrow one of Rich's cowboy hats!! Ha..

Lori Waggoner said...

The PANTS?? You should see that belt in real life...it is sportin' some serious redneck bling!! :-) I'll don boots and belts, but so far I've stopped short of the 10-gallon Stetson...and I expect to keep it that way!

Only REAL cowboys should wear the hats.

Trina Waggoner said...

Or pants like yours, your Brother tricked me, he was wearing Levi's and being from Cali, how was I to know....he had a Stetson on and a plug in between his gums...thus "Cowboy"...Hmmmmm. But I'll keep him :-)