Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Silver Lining? Whatever.

I am what you might call a hardcore pessimist. To the best of my recollection, no one has ever had to warn me not to view the world through rose-colored glasses, nor have I ever been scolded for having a "Pollyanna" perspective on life. In fact, it takes no effort at all for me to recognize the objections, potential pitfalls, or negative outcomes of a given situation. My glass is perpetually half-empty (well, OK...two-thirds empty, but whoever coined the phrase didn't know me!).

Rabbit trail: this is probably the reason I have never acted on my entreprenurial impulses (you know...those dreams I've been sharing...and believe me, I'm not quite finished!). I have vision. I have ideas. I have organizational skills and a hearty work ethic. But I also have, in greater measure, the ability to expound all the reasons that those ideas, if implemented, are likely to fail. So...if any of those dreams will ever come to pass, Providence will have to appoint for me an eternally optimistic (not to mention, wealthy) business partner!

Back to the hardcore pessimist: as I trudged my daily route on Saturday, I was struck by the early evening cloud formations. A particularly large silver-lined mass compelled me to contemplate the meaning of the idiom "every cloud has a silver lining." That phrase embodies the sort of optimistic poppycock which automatically elicits a cynical response from me...but, of course, I've never really thought about it before. Until NOW.

Upon closer scrutiny, I have to acknowledge a distinctly Christian outlook behind this saying! It's not about whitewashing reality, or putting a happy face on tragedy, or pretending that life is peachy in the midst of great suffering.

But it is about hope.

It is about faith.

It is about understanding that the sliver of light outlining the cloud, comes from an unseen source.

Though we may cower in fear under the threats of that cloud and its attendant dangers - the darkness, the torrents, the blinding flashes - yet the silver lining provides evidence that behind that ominous mass lies a promise of light, warmth and comfort. The sun, though temporarily hidden, is still there!

As Christians, we know that this phenomenon is not simply a wonderment of nature, because we remember that "the heavens declare the glory of God." We know that the invisible attributes of our Creator are manifest through the things He has made! We recieve His instruction when we observe and meditate on His handiwork.

The Sun of Righteousness dwells behind the dark clouds of trial and suffering which leave us fearful and desperate and which sometimes threaten to overwhelm us. That glimmer of light reminds us of God's presence and faithfulness. Whether the darkness and danger are brief or prolonged, we know that we will not be utterly forsaken and that we will eventually experience the smiling Providence that lurks behind those tribulations. Our path will once again be illumined by His light. We will know the warmth of His lovingkindness. And we will experience the comfort of His presence.

In the meantime, while we remain under the clouds of trial, sin or discipline, we must by faith trust His presence and His promises and wait for Him to make Himself known. We may cry out, "How long, Yahweh, will you hide your face from me?" But we must also conclude with the Psalmist, "Yahweh hears the cry of the needy; God is to us a God of deliverance."

And when that cloud dissipates, we can be assured that the Light of His Countenance, which is better than life, will shine upon us and will fill us with peace.

8 comments:

Jeff Meyers said...

Good words! But what were you doing up so late?

Angie B. said...

Thanks, Lori. Great reminders.

Lori Waggoner said...

Jeff...12:45 is early! I find that if I stay up until 2 or so, I can actually sleep through until 6 without being restless or wakeful. So...that's mostly what I do these days!

Angie...you're welcome.

Anonymous said...

Very well written. How delightful to see how God uses His Creation to remind us of His truths. Thanks for the encouraging words. Joanie

Trina Waggoner said...

For being such a hardcore pessimist, your Blog holds hope, faith, TRUTH.........and lots of "silver linings" My Dear Lori!!
ps. I'm thankful for my sister-in-law Lori.

Lori Waggoner said...

Thanks, Joanie and Trina.

Unknown said...

Well written, beautiful imagery...RDV

Unknown said...

Well written, beautiful imagery.