Tuesday, September 8, 2009

The Pilgrim's Progress

For many years, I have inwardly berated myself for not having read Bunyan's Great Christian Classic, The Pilgrim's Progress. It was Grant's required summer reading, which he - in typical Grant-fashion - devoured in the 36 hours preceding the first day of school. If he can do it...so can I, I determined! One of the reasons I had procrastinated, was that I assumed it would be a cumbersome read because of it's length, age and heady language.

I could not have been more wrong!

I started it yesterday morning and had to force myself to put it down and go to bed at 2 AM this morning! The timing of reading this could not have been better for me...in fact, if I believed in all that "sovereignty stuff," I might even say it was Providential! Over the next few days I'll share some particulary poignant passages, starting with this one:

While at the Interpreter's house, Christian is shown a fireplace in which the fire burns high and hot, in spite of one who stands by throwing water on it to quench it. When he asks the meaning, Interpreter explains: This fire is the work of grace that is wrought in the heart; he that casts water upon it, to extinguish and put it out is the devil: but in that thou seest the fire, notwithstanding, burn higher and hotter, thou shalt also see the reason of that. So he had him to the back side of the wall, where he saw a man with a vessel of oil in his hand, of the which he did also continually cast (but secretly) into the fire.

Then Christian said, What means this?

The Interpreter answered, This is Christ, who continually, with the oil of his grace, maintains the work already begun in the heart, by the means of which, notwithstanding what the devil can do, the souls of his people prove gracious still. And in that thou sawest, that the man stood behind the wall to maintain the fire; this is to teach thee, that it is hard for the tempted to see how this work of grace is maintained in the soul.

Even, maybe especially, when we are unaware of his presence, Christ will, as He has promised, continue the work which he has begun in us...even in the midst of attempts to extinguish the fires of faith.

Soon afterward, Christian is engaged in fierce battle with Apollyon and is sorely wounded in the fight. Apollyon attempts to persuade Christian that his allegiance belongs with him and that he will provide wages equal to that of the King. Christian replies: To speak truth, I like his service, his wages, his servants, his company, his government, his company and country better than thine; and therefore leave off to persuade me further: I am his servant, and I will follow him. Apollyon continues to accuse him of treason and his faithless following of the King, reminding him of his wanderings and sins along the path...he even sends blows which leave Christian without his sword to defend and despairing of his life. Just before he receives the final blow, Christian retrieves his sword, crying out, Rejoice not against me, O mine enemy! When I fall, I shall arise! and with that, he gave him a deadly thrust which made him give back as one that had received a mortal wound. He then sings over his defeated enemy:

Great Beelzebub, the captain of this fiend,

Design'd my ruin; therefore to this end

He sent him harness'd out; and he, with rage

That hellish was, did fiercely me engage:

But blessed Michael helped me, and I,

By dint of sword, did quickly make him fly;

Therefore to Him let me give lasting praise,

And thank and bless His holy name always.

We are not alone in the battle in which we are engaged and the Sword, the Word of God, will prove a trusty weapon able to put back even the fiercest of enemies who would draw our souls away from allegiance to Christ! Take heart and rejoice...!

8 comments:

Trina Waggoner said...

Way too much book for me, But thank you for "Interpreting", always a blessing to read what your insight!!

Trina Waggoner said...

IS on such a book........THERE, no delete to be found...ooops!! haha

Randy said...

Oh, no! Now I may have to read this classic one of these days. Oh, no!

Lori Waggoner said...

Yes, Elder Stone! It is infinitely more interesting than Money Magazine...I promise!

"Mr. Dad" said...

Wow! I've actually read a book (Pilgrim's Progress) that you've never read?! That is startling to me, since you are so well read. As I think you'll find out (if not already), this could very possibly be one of best books ever written, just beneath the Bible itself, of course. The younger, pictorial/text version—"Dangerous Journey"—was always one of Michael's favorites. Every Christian should read this book (including Elder Stone).

Lori Waggoner said...

No you haven't, Robert! I finished the day after I started it, Silly! :-)

You've read LOTS of books I haven't read! I started late in life...plus you're AT LEAST a decade older than I!

"Mr. Dad" said...

Annotated version with Scripture refs—a must have (in my opinion):

(http://www.whatsaiththescripture.com/Stories/Bunyan.Pilgrims.Progress.html).

Used to be available in hardback. Not so sure now.

Pastor Stan said...

Great post! This book is one of my all time favorites ... I find that anyone who picks it up cannot put it down. I would highly recommend anyone who has yet to read it. Thanks again Lori for such a great post.