Wednesday, February 17, 2010

I encountered another living soul today...a rare occurence in this veritable ghost town.  Apparently the Florida beach, in the middle of February, holds little attraction for normal people.

On my daily walk through the neighborhood, I heard a woman talking excitedly and I happened upon her suddenly.  She was alone.  Her appearance belied her state of mind...long grey hair, a quirky hat and a brightly-colored eccentric combination of apparel.  Her hands were dramatically elucidating her words for her invisible audience.  She seemed unphased by the appearance of a real human being and her monologue continued unabated.

For those of you who have attended the Whitaker Music Festival at the Missouri Botanical Gardens and have seen the "dancing lady"...that was this woman!  Happily inhabiting her own universe in the middle of a gated resort community. 

I was simultaneously amused and saddened.  What has her life been like?  Is she aware of her eccentricity or is she oblivious to it?  Is she distressed over her madness or is she happy in it?

I don't know.  All I know is that I hope she isn't alone, and I hope she has her very own Randy Stone.

2 comments:

Randy said...

Well, Lori, you have humbled me beyond belief. I was getting my haircut at Denise's place today, and she mentioned your blog. So, my ego demanded that I go read it to see what you said. So, here I am, 3:40 AM reading your blog. The wee hours provide me time to think my own thoughts without interruption.

May God continue to bless you, Lori. And, I'm sure that there are a LOT of people would NOT want a Randy Stone.

Goodnight!

Lori Waggoner said...

Glad you stopped by. I love and miss both you and Jean and am always delighted when you're able to show up. May the Lord bless your service to her.