Monday, February 22, 2010

I HAD a Dream

I've been camping out near a naval base in northern Florida for the last couple of weeks and the daily flyovers have reminded me of  a dream I relinquished long ago.

From my mid-teen years until well after college, I had a dream of becoming a fighter pilot.  Really.  I'm not sure exactly what initially sparked and held my interest, but I have a long-standing love affair with speed and adventure, an attraction to risk and a desire to surprise people by doing what is not expected of a girl.

Don't get me wrong.  I had no desire to shed my femininity (though I've always had a bit of the tree-climbing tomboy in me), I wanted people to be shocked that I was a daring fighter pilot because of my femininity.  Those of you who know me...feel free to laugh at that.

I wasn't fully free of this dream until my first child was born.  I admit, even now, when I hear that roar overhead, the adrenaline starts pumping.  The difference is, I no longer feel the urge to DO something about it...just smile and enjoy the rush...vicariously. 

1 comment:

Rebekah said...

Good post - I relate. My favorite cartoon growing up was Speedracer!! :-) HA!