Tuesday, February 16, 2010

An Unexpected Blessing

I passed an elderly gentleman on this morning's walk.  From what I've been told, the intensity of my countenance while walking would prevent most strangers from speaking to me for fear they might be cleft in twain (that's KJV speak for "hacksawed in two").  But that didn't stop this brave fellow.  We paused for a brief chat about the weather.

Upon learning I was from St. Louis, he proudly drew attention to his ballcap.  As my eyes moved upward, I feared I was going to see a Cubs hat which would have ruined the whole positive karma we had going.  Much to my relief it was a KC Chiefs logo.  I told him the only thing I knew about the Chiefs was their brief association with some punk QB...#19 was it?  Some guy named...Joe?

"Where do you go to church in St. Louis?" was his next question.  I stammered momentarily because it seemed random and I wondered, "How does he know?  Was my i-pod THAT loud?"  (I had been listening to a sermon.)  No...I realized.  To him, that was the most important question he could ask.  Elderly people are that way, you know?  They've got nothin' to prove and are less concerned about being admired, so they speak boldly.

I answered his question.  "Ah...Reformed Presbyterian?  I'm Southern Baptist.  BUT...the important thing is to be in personal relationship with God, right?"

"Through Jesus Christ," we chorused.  He smiled.

We exchanged words of blessing:  his Southern Baptist "Praise the Lord!" and my Reformed Presbyterian "The peace of Christ be with you" and went our separate ways, knowing and feeling the bond of a brother and sister, united in Christ.

No comments: