Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Anne of Green Gables

Many thanks to all of you who expressed dismay that I had never read Anne of Green Gables and insisted that I do so!  What a delightful story full of characters that I have known!

Anne's optimistic outlook on life was initially irritating to me (I am Marilla!!), but became more a source of rebuke than irritation as the book wore on.  Yes, it sprang, in some measure, from her immaturity, but on a deeper level it originated from her attitude of thankfulness for the ordinary gifts of daily life.

That is not my attempt to force a moral lesson out of the book.  The fact is, her gratitude brought me up short.  But the story's primary function for me was, as a good book should be, a source of delight, laughter and joy!  My only real irritation?  I had already planned what I was going to read next...and it was not anything by L.M. Montgomery!  But NOW...the romantic in me MUST know what happens with Anne and Gilbert.  I simply must. 

Thanks, ladies!

1 comment:

Jennifer S. said...

I read the series & watched the series. This is one of those occasions where I did enjoy the books more. I read this back when I was a freshman or sophmore in highschool. Emily now watches the animated Anne of Green Gables on pbs kids.