Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Wordsmith Wednesday

It's been a while since I've put one of these together, but the high-strung emotions of the moment are urging me on! 

You know how people casually use the word "hate" about things they really don't hate...it's merely for dramatic effect?  Well...there is one thing in my life for which this word is completely suitable: airsoft pellets.  Oh, yes.  I HATE airsoft pellets.  Not because I have the slightest aversion to weapons or ammunition.  No, no.  I have not a pacifistic bone in my body.  I'm all about guns and shooting things and killing things...totally good with that.  It's their distribution throughout my house at cleaning time that has elicited such profound hatred. 

They are EVERYWHERE.  And when I sweep, they roll here there and everywhere, lodging themselves in the most obscure and inconvenient places from which I have to retrieve them!  Ach!! 

So...the word of the day is HATE.  How many synonyms can you generate for the word hate?  I could only come up with 5, which seems like precious few:

Hate - a strong feeling of dislike or ill will
Despise - suggests a looking down on with contempt
Loathe - implies utter abhorrence
Detest - implies vehement dislike or antipathy
Abhor - implies great repugnance or disgust
Abominate - implies degradation and offensiveness

Come on, all you moms of boys.  I know you feel me on this one.  Reach down deep and give me some more synonyms.  They're there just waiting to come out...I know it. 

4 comments:

Terri said...

Here you go, an example of how these little creatures seep into your everyday life and cause issue...one stuck in the groove of our sliding closet causing the door to jam; another couple hundred in my flower bed which I mixed with fertilizer! ANNOYING.

Lori Waggoner said...

Exactly!

Oriana said...

Ok...So I'm not a mom of boys, but...
Odium, repulsed, nauseated, aversion, antipathy, repugnance.
:) Enough?

Lori Waggoner said...

Nice, Orianna. You are now fully equipped to BE the mother of boys! :-)