Sunday, November 11, 2007

Boots Required

O, the things we do for the sake of "one-anothering" the Body of Christ. This may be my greatest sacrifice yet...

See, I have this girlfriend (whom I will refrain from calling a redneck), who LOVES country music. She eats, drinks and breathes it. Now, if you met her, you would never GUESS this about her...I certainly didn't. It's true nevertheless and this friend just had a birthday. For her birthday she invited my husband and me to join her and her husband at a country concert...but not just ANY country concert - a GARTH BROOKS concert. Now, you can't get much more bona fide country than that, can you?

The real sacrifice is laying aside my pride when people find out that I'm going to a GB concert. I have not revealed it to anyone (until now), but somehow the word is out...people KNOW! So, just so you all know...I AM DOING THIS FOR MY FRIEND. It is a supreme sacrifice of love. And the kicker? AFTER we accepted the invitation....OUT OF LOVE, I might add...they informed us that cowboy boots are required! Oh, dear.

This whole friendship-love-sacrifice thing just isn't all it's cracked up to be... ;-)

Happy Birthday, DK!

7 comments:

Angie B. said...

I'm a native Texan and lived there until a few years ago--yet I've never been able to bring myself to don a pair of cowboy boots. More power to 'ya, padnah. Be sure to take pictures.

Jessie said...

A lot of cowboy boots are really trendy and in, actually, that won't be the hard part. You may wind up liking them w/ the right jeans and sweater. Listing to GB for several hours straight...now that is going to be difficult...truly a grand sacrifice.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for making the sacrifice, but you really didn't have to learn all the words to his songs just so you could sing along:)at the concert. I am glad that they didn't allow standing on the seats!

Now I know why you didn't take any pictures-you looked too satisfied with yourself in your cool boots and cowboy clothes!!

Anonymous said...

Well, DK, I didn't want to waste those $27.50 tickets, so I did my best to PRETEND I was enjoying myself!

Jessie & Angie: see next post...

Anonymous said...

I think you have to have many different experiences in life (all legal), because you never know when there might be something you didn't think you would like to do but find out that it wasn't so bad after all. It is like trying to eat food you didn't like but your tastes have changed and you find out you actually like "deer meat" (a reference to hunting season). Besides you got away with some fun people without your kids. Gee, that would be worth it right there. I won't think any less of you Lori. Joanie

Anonymous said...

Thanks for celebrating with me!

By the way I have a country music fever of 100.2...I guess it was all the fun!

Lori Waggoner said...

Angie & Jessie - I think I may have a new favorite pair of shoes! Yep...them cowboy boots is right comf'able. I wore them to school today to teach! Yes I did!

Joanie - though it may show poor judgement on your part, thanks for not thinking less of me!

DK - At least now I know you're not too old to keep up with me...you were just sick! :-( Get well!