Monday, November 5, 2007

Christ All Sufficient

As I have previously expressed, this little book, Letters of John Newton, has been most influential in my life. Here is another quote from our faithful brother and servant of Christ:

"I encourage you to put your strength in him, and not to be afraid, even when you feel your own weakness and insufficiency most sensibly. We are never more safe, never have more reason to expect the Lord's help, than when we are most sensible that we can do nothing without him. This way of being saved entirely by grace from first to last, is contrary to our natural wills: it mortifies self, leaving it nothing to boast of...

He is a suitable Saviour! He has power, authority and compassion to save to the uttermost. He has given his word of promise to engage our confidence, and he is able and faithful to make good the expectations and desires he has raised in us. Put your trust in him in defiance of all objections from within and without. For this, Abraham is recommended as a pattern to us.

I wish you may be enabled to leave all your concerns in his hands. He has a sovereign right to do with us as he pleases...and to those who seek him, his sovereignty is exercised in a way of grace. All shall work together for good: everything is needful that he sends; nothing can be needful that he withholds. Be content to bear the cross; others have borne it before you...rely upon his care and power.

When you cannot see your way, be satisfied that he is your leader. When your spirit is overwhelmed within you, he knows your path: he will not leave you to sink. He has appointed seasons of refreshment, and you shall find he does not forget you. Above all, keep close to the throne of grace. If we seem to get no good by attempting to draw near him, we may be sure we shall get none by keeping away from him."

2 comments:

Jessie said...

You have convinced me that I need this book. I just ordered one. Thanks for sharing it.

Lori Waggoner said...

You're welcome.

My grandmother did me a great favor in offering her copy to me 20 years ago. It's falling to pieces, and I've considered getting a nice new hardcover, but can't bring myself to give up this treasured and worn copy. In a way, it represents my inheritance from her.

May the Lord use it to encourage and strengthen your trust in Him.