Thursday, November 8, 2007

A Love For Adventure

Couple my youngest son's love for learning and creating with his desire for adventure, and here's what you get:

E: Hey, Mom, come see what I made.

Me: O-K...where? In your room?

E: Well, actually, go to the front yard. You can see it better from there.

So, I walk out to the front yard where he proceeds to call my name from his 2nd-story bedroom window. When I look up, I find that he previously ventured out onto the roof and set up a car racing ramp stretching from his window to the edge of the roof...you know, so the cars will jump off the ramp and land in the front yard.

E: Watch! (he sends a car shooting off the roof) Isn't that awesome?

Me: (open-mouthed and silent)

E: Hey Mom! Did you see that? Isn't that great!?

Me: Well...yeah...I have to admit it's....WHAT WERE YOU DOING OUT ON THE ROOF? ARE YOU NUTS?! NOBODY EVEN KNEW YOU WERE OUT THERE!!! IF YOU HAD FALLEN, I WOULDN'T EVEN HAVE KNOWN!!! ALL YOU HAD TO DO WAS ASK...I PROBABLY WOULD HAVE SAID 'YES' BUT YOU HAVE TO ASK BEFORE YOU CLIMB OUT THE WINDOW ONTO THE ROOF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You know...it really was quite the cool set-up, but I can't have the kid thinking he can just play on roof willy-nilly, now can I? I mean, the fact that I used to jump off cliffs in Chattanooga has nothing to do with it...I was fully armed with safety equipment...which, BTW, had been "installed" by very mature and responsible........18-19 year old boys. I don't even want to think about it.

Finally this blonde-haired, blue-eyed boy resembles his mother...even if only in his sense for adventure.

1 comment:

Jessie said...

thats a great story!