Friday, November 9, 2007

A Love For Fire

This young, self-motivated, creative, adventurous boy of mine loves more than learning...he loves fire. During the winter, this works in my favor because he is always ready and willing to get the fireplace roaring.

Last week, however, it nearly worked against us all...

At bedtime, I went upstairs to complete my almost-nightly routine with the boys. I possess a very keen olfactory sense - which has serious disadvantages when you live in a house full of males - and as I ascended the stairs, I became aware of a distinct smoky smell. Having had a fire in this house before, I don't take that odor lightly. I walked around, checked rooms, closets and even attic spaces.

Little one informs me, somewhat nonchalantly, that his Jack-o-lantern is in his room and he has had it lit. O-K...it was there with our permission, and we had allowed him to light it while completing homework. But I began to wonder if that had been a dangerous mistake...so I went and checked out his pumpkin...no problems or funny odors there. At the same time, I kept thinking that this odor did not resemble a burning candle, or even burning pumpkin. It's an enigma, I concluded.........no hint of fire in any visible places.

About 2 minutes later, my little sensitive-conscience boy asks to talk to me...in my room...alone. Anytime this happens, I know a confession is forthcoming. I enter the room, where he informs me that he had used the pumpkin-lighter to set some paper on fire - he burst into tears. Apparently, his "experiment" had gotten a little out of hand and scared the bejeebers out of him...but somehow, he had managed to put the fire out, clean up the mess and disguise his criminal activity - except for the odor, of course!

Though my response to him was very grave, in retrospect - because I think he learned his lesson, and because no one was hurt - it makes me grin. HE doesn't know that! But his father and I both chuckle about it...this experiment-loving, adventure-loving, fire-loving boy of ours...may the Lord's protection be with him always, because we obviously aren't!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Remind me of this next time I have this little adventurer over to spend the night with Noah-nevermind-I am pretty sure that I will remember! :D

What a fun, sweet, extraordinary little guy-a lot like his Mom.

Anonymous said...

When Dave was about 9 or 10 we got a call from our next door neighbor: "Uh, you may want to go outside and look at your roof..." We did, only to discover Dave and his cousin (who was spending the night) on the roof desperately trying to put out a fire. They had built a house out of playing cards and wanted to see it burn. I guess they knew we would smell the smoke if they lit it in the house, so they crawled out from Dave's bedroom window onto the roof. Creative idea gone bad...thank God for observant neighbors.

Lori Waggoner said...

Debbie - hopefully we put the fear of God in him about playing with fire...but you never really know! I am quite sure you won't forget!

O my, Rhonda! At least I got to experience the roof and fire in two separate incidences! That is unbelievable! What a great story -