Monday, March 3, 2008

First Day of School

I just dropped Riesa off at her new "school." It's really a day program that provides social opportunities for her and doesn't resemble school in any way, but that's what she calls it, so that's what WE call it!

I was a little nervous about dropping her off with people I have only met face to face on 2 occasions. Because she is uncommunicative, a heavy sense of responsibility and apprehension accompany sending her into the unknown. Riesa, on the other hand, was very happy this morning and walked in confidently like she'd been going there every day for years. She had not the least hesitation or apprehension.

My hope and prayer for her now, is that she will find meaningful friendships like she had in Festus, and that she will be kept from harm.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear of the ease of this morning's transition and Riesa's happiness to go.

jennifer h said...

I am glad it went well. Looking forward to reports of your prayers being answered.

Angie B. said...

What--no first day of school pictures?

Anonymous said...

Good news!! Looks like God gave Riesa a strong will for days just like this one! Her confidence exercised today may also be based to a large part on her trust in the Shaffers, too.

Lori Waggoner said...

Pictures...oh yeah. I'm a bad mom. I didn't even take any pictures!

annie said...

I'm so glad that she happily went to her new "school". I know your fears about her lack of communication skills and about sending her into the unknown. It is hard.