Monday, March 31, 2008

YES!!!

So....at 12:50 this afternoon, while I was still unshowered and in my running clothes, slaving away at Spring Cleaning....I received a strange telephone call.

What?! Are you kidding me? Would I like to go to the Cardinal's home opener...seriously?...today?...really?!!! Well.....YEAH! I mean...I have a couple of logistical problems to solve, but....YEAH!

PROBLEM #1: Game starts in 2 hours....gates open in 15 minutes.... traditional Opening Day Ceremonies begin in 1 1/2 hours....can't miss Opening Day ceremonies - that's the point afterall....clydesdales, mustang convertibles, Lou Brock, Red Schoendist, Stan-the-Man, Ozzie, team introductions....O-K, we'll meet at the stadium at 2:00....PROBLEM SOLVED!

PROBLEM #2: Riesa is at school and it doesn't get out until 3:00....call and arrange to pick her up in 15 minutes and bring her home...let her watch a movie until the boys get home...PROBLEM SOLVED!

PROBLEM #3: The boys need a ride home at 3:20....that's easy enough....call Dan and ask for a ride....oh! how will they get in the locked house?....hide key in secret spot....call school and leave message for Grant....ride with Mr. Hayes, key hidden under rock, we're at game, take care of Riesa....PROBLEM SOLVED!

PROBLEM #4: Steve is still at work and needs to come home and get ready to go....call and tell him we need to leave the house in 30 minutes....ask him to leave NOW, please....PROBLEM SOLVED!

PROBLEM #5: No dinner for Riesa and boys....can't order pizza when we're not home....no leftovers in fridge....a-ha!....we have canned soup and we have cheerios....PROBLEM SOLVED!

PROBLEM #6: I am unshowered....aaahhhh!....make 9 phone calls....take worlds-fastest shower ever....change Cardinals jerseys 3 times....ready....PROBLEM SOLVED!

PROBLEM #7: Long-time dear friend and Cardinal pal calls to invite me to watch the game with her this afternoon....we'll order Duffy's pizza....oh, dear....should I tell her I'm going?....and that it was her brother who invited us?....Yikes!....I'm in trouble....O-K, I can do this....call back and leave cowardly message admitting that I can't accept her invitation....tell her why....PROBLEM SOLVED?....or just begun?

PROBLEM #8: Traffic is majorly backed up at 7th avenue....can't get to stadium....all lots are full....we'll never get inside for the clydesdales and the convertibles....Noooooooo!!!!....hop out of car leaving husband to find parking....sprint few blocks to "Eat Rite" to hook up with our hosts who hold the all-important tickets....power-walk to stadium....push politely through crowds to gate....politely grab magnet....find seats....ALL PROBLEMS SOLVED!

Ahhhhh....Opening Day in STL....there's nothing quite like it.

Yeah, O-K, so we got rained out after the 3rd inning, but Skip Shumaker's picture-perfect play in left field made it all worthwhile. I'd take that over a Pujols' homerun any day - oh, yeah, we got one of those too, just for good measure.

Oh, and my predictions for Opening Day Lineup were pretty darn close. And definitely closer than those other guys who cared enough to float their lineups! Thanks for makin' me look good, boys! :-)

My lineup is in blue...Tony's in red.

Schumaker - LF Schumaker - LF

Ludwick - RF Ludwick - RF

Pujols - 1B Pujols - 1B

Ankiel - CF Glaus - 3B

Glaus - 3B Ankiel - CF

Molina - C Molina - C

Miles - 2B Izturis - SS

Izturis - SS Wainwright - RHP

Thompson - RHP Miles - 2B

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice work!! Sorry it was rained out after all that mastery of every single problem. So, do you have all your ducks in a row for tomorrow night;)

jennifer h said...

Glad you got to go even if it got rained out.

Lori Waggoner said...

Tomorrow should be a piece of cake. Afterall, I had....like....24 whole hours to plan instead of 30 minutes! My boys probably won't be forced to have Cheerios for dinner.

Can you snag one of your boys' seats for tomorrow?

Lori Waggoner said...

Thanks, Jennifer. Loved Charis' Cards cap!

Anonymous said...

I'm thinking about it...