Friday, March 7, 2008

Shakespeare in a Week

For about 10 years now, Providence has been producing a Shakespeare play in a week's time. Granted, the set and costumes are not at all elaborate, and the quality of the performances varies greatly from year to year. I'm hopeful for this year.

Tonight is the first of 2 performances. Grant is Borachio, the scoundrel friend of Don John who orchestrates Hero's downfall. This is one of my top 5 Shakespeare favorites...maybe even top 3. I love the sarcastic banter between Beatrice and Benedick. Their initial encounter:

I wonder you will still be talking, Signior Benedick: nobody marks you.

What, my dear Lady Disdain! Are you yet living?

Is it possible disdain should die while she hath such meet food to feed it as Signior Benedick? Courtesy itself must convert to disdain, if you come in her presence.

Then courtesy is a turncoat. But it is certain that I am loved of all ladies, only you excepted: and I would I could find in my heart that I had not a hard heart; for, truly I love none.

A dear happiness to women: they would else have been troubled with a pernicious suitor. I thank God and my cold blood, I am of your humor for that: I had rather hear my dog bark at a crow than a man swear he loves me.

God keep your ladyship still in that mind! So some gentleman or other shall 'scape a predestinate scratch'd face.

Scratching could not make it worse, 'twere such a face as yours were.

Well, you are a rare parrot-teacher.

A bird of my tongue is better than a beast of yours.

I would my horse had the speed of your tongue, and so good a continuer.

If you haven't seen the Kenneth Branaugh/Emma Thompson version, it is well worth watching. Very well done. Even if you don't think you like Shakespeare, this one is hard not to enjoy!

I'm sure I'll be plaguing you with pictures and a report on how it turns out!

4 comments:

Jessie said...

How fun! Did you see it at the park last summer? It was fabulous - definitely is one of my favs, if not favorite!

jennifer h said...

Much Ado About Nothing is my favorite Shakespeare play. We have foisted the Branaugh/Thompson dvd on people for years. I wish I could make it to PCA's performance, but since I can't, I will welcome photos on your blog.

Lori Waggoner said...

Jessie - When I heard that Shakespeare in the Park was performing Much Ado in a Western-theme, I was disappointed. C'mon, people! Just do it right.

Boy was I wrong! It totally worked...we loved it so much we went back for a second performance!

"Mr. Dad" said...

May I also recommend the 2004 (DVD) production of Shakespeare's "Merchant of Venice" (with Al Pacino as the merchant). What an incredible script too, partcularly "Portia's" pledge of love to "Bassanio"

http://shakespeare.mit.edu/merchant/merchant.3.2.html

and, Portia's courtroom scene with the merchant "Shylock"

http://shakespeare.mit.edu/merchant/merchant.4.1.html