Friday, March 7, 2008

From the Trunk I

I am sorting through an old trunk which contains some tangible memories of my past, including pictures, newspaper articles, cards and letters I've received, plus random notes, journals and papers I've written throughout the years.

Some of it is quite comical....did I really used to think that? Some of it is surprising....did I really write that at age 17? And some of it is plain old sentimental....

I think I may share some of these items over the next few weeks....those that are fit for public consumption, that is. The following quote doesn't fit any of the categories above, but still rings true to me as it did when I first collected it 20-some years ago. I don't know who said it or where I found it, but think about it:

"What causes us to like new acquaintances is not so much weariness of our old ones, or the pleasure of change, as disgust at not being sufficiently admired by those who know us too well, and the hope of being admired more by those who do not know so much about us."

4 comments:

jennifer h said...

I like the quote, and I think it's sentiments are very true!

A few months back I was reading journals from my college days. It was hard to believe what I wrote really came from me. We are remarkable beings in how we change so much but somehow remain the same.

Angie B. said...

I'll look forward to seeing some of your memorabilia.

Anonymous said...

Are you cleaning up/out your craft room finally?

Lori Waggoner said...

Jennifer - my thoughts exactly. Surprised at how much and yet how little I have changed.

Debbie - Oh NO! Because that room is tucked away in a corner of the basement, I conveniently FORGET that it needs cleaning until I have to retrieve something from its cluttered recesses! Maybe this spring......MAYBE!