Thursday, March 18, 2010

For Want of Wit: 11


I consistently provide myself with material that qualifies for these "Stupid Things I've Done" posts.

It was about 10am on a Wednesday last March when I suddenly realized that it was Riesa's birthday.  How in the world had it slipped up on me so quickly??  I knew it was coming up and had made mental plans, but had failed to execute any of them.  I went into a panic, knowing that I HAD to celebrate her birthday ON her birthday because even if Riesa didn't realize, Grandma would!

So...I frantically ran out to get her presents, cake, ice cream, balloons, cards, candles, food for a favorite meal, etc.  We celebrated alright.  No one would have even known that I had neglected my duties.  

Later that evening, I was at the local pub with some girlfriends from church and was explaining to them how I had forgotten but was able to pull it all together.  I was rather satisfied with myself...UNTIL one of my friends - who is a walking calendar - spoke up.  "Wait!  Isn't Riesa's birthday March 18th?"  "Yes,"  I replied, wondering what her point was.  "Lori...today is March 11th!  Her birthday isn't until NEXT Wednesday!!" 

STUPID.

So THIS YEAR...I actually got it right!  Riesa celebrated her day - TODAY - by going to lunch with "all the girls" as she calls them.  And of course we enjoyed the mandatory "BIG chocolate cake" that she asks for every year!  She is spoiled rotten, that girl! 

She looked beautiful all dolled up in one of her new outfits in celebration of 52 years:

 
Happy Birthday, Riesa Kay Waggoner!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haha, this is so funny! :) I very much enjoy reading your blog, Auntie.

[love]
Nelson

Anonymous said...

i absolutely enjoy your own posting taste, very exciting,
don't give up and keep writing as it just good worth to look through it.
impatient to look over much of your current content articles, thankx!

Lori Waggoner said...

Nelson! You're alive! I'm so glad you still come by and visit the blog.

Hope you had a blast with Julian Paul. We miss him!

XOXOXO