Monday, March 15, 2010

Leisurely Woman's Daybook

Outside my window...All evidence of last week's yard work has been erased.  For some reason, I thought it would be more satisfactory than cleaning indoors where my work is quickly undone.  I was wrong.  Oh well.  At least I can't claim boredom, right?

From the kitchen...Pi pizza.  It's not from MY kitchen, but this gourmet, "Chicago-style" pizza is now closer to home and is by far the best I've had in St. Louis! 

Around the house...After having drywall work done, all 1,975 books have been dusted, one-by-one.  Not doin' THAT again if I can help it!  There's a leak behind the wall?  Oops...too bad...leave it for the next family!

A favorite thing...Classic books, fairytales and fables illustrated by Gustave Dore.  I know I've "plugged" his work before, but it's beautiful and his work is expansive.  Check him out. 

I am thinking...that it's time for spring to come and take up residence in St. Louis.

I am wearing...an "octopus" clip in my mangy mop of hair...which the Shaffer males have declared that I shall not cut off!

I am hearing..."I Run to You" by Lady Antebellum - I generally don't admit my affinity for country music because it betrays the redneck side of me that I try to keep hidden.  But I am a "sophisticated redneck" and that kind of makes it OK, doesn't it?

I am reading...The Forgotten Man - a story of the depression era and FDR's presidency.

I am creating...gift boxes.  Rhonda-the-Librarian's mom handmade a gift box for me from pretty paper, so I used hers as a pattern to create some of my own. 

I am thankful for...my friend, April, who visited STL this weekend.  She's an intelligent and entertaining writer...check her out over at Coal Creek Farm.

Plans for my week...End-of-season wrestling "banquet"...dessert & drinks with girlfriends at Cyrano's...end-of-season basketball "banquet"...Irish car bombs and green glitter at Helen's...Riesa's birthday.

A photo/video I'm sharing...Remember this building I dreamt about a few months back?  It is STILL for sale...at a mere $350,000!!  If only I had a wealthy, childless uncle who adored me...I have firmly decided that this would become a Library/Literary Institute.  If only...
I no longer drop by and look in the windows, but I still renovate this place in my head, purchase thousands of books to fill the rooms, strategically design furniture & lighting for its various uses, plan courses & meals, and recruit teachers.  Ahhh...a girl can dream big...for a long time, can't she?  I wish someone would hurry up and BUY IT ALREADY so I can set that dream aside!  Who knows, maybe the price will come down to $100,000, then I can afford the $3,000,000 for renovations and start-up.

3 comments:

liz kuntz said...

Where is this old building?

liz kuntz said...

Where is this old building?

Lori Waggoner said...

Liz, it's on Rott Road in Sunset Hills. Apparently, PCA checked it out at one point, but the cost of renovations was prohibitive.