Thursday, May 6, 2010

For Want of Wit

I met Mr. Shaffer only 5 months before we married.  Though one might argue whether or not that alone qualifies as one of the "stupid things I've done", that's not the point of this post...but those circumstances precipitated one of my dumbest moves ever!

I suppose I had known Shaf a full 10-12 weeks by the time I ordered wedding invitations.  When they arrived, I was pleased.  They looked exactly as I had intended.  There was just one little problem.  He and his mother were not pleased.

I had misspelled his name.  An honest mistake to be sure!   Afterall, that's a pretty intimate detail, right?  After such a hasty process, was I really supposed to know that his name was spelled SteVen instead of StePHen? 

STUPID.

But of course, it gets worse.  I can't just be average stupid...no, that wouldn't do.  For a few hundred bucks I figured it was a mistake worth living with and said so.  

COLOSSALLY STUPID.

3 comments:

Angie B. said...

lol!! At least you spelled his last name right.

Anonymous said...

Was it cheaper to buy new invitations or cheaper to take him to court and change his name? Jen had Jeff listed as sister of the bride on her bulletin. So much for proofreading. J

Robyn said...

That's sooo funny!!! I knew Mark a full 21 weeks the day we married and we had seen each other about 13 - 14 times as we lived in different states. Our phone bills could have paid for the wedding a couple of times, though!! Amazing the similarities our lives have taken! Been praying for you throughout the day today!!