Friday, May 21, 2010

Worth Every Penny

I admit I am not following the Cardinals this season as heartily as I have in the past.  It is certainly not due to a waning interest, but more to some major mental distractions.  Maybe by July, when life slows down a bit, I'll rededicate my life to baseball. 

In the meantime, I attended my 3rd game of the season tonight.  It was a "doozy" as announcer Mike Shannon would say!  The first inning brought a hard comebacker to the mound where pitcher, Brad Penny, very nonchalantly barehanded it before throwing the guy out.  It was one of the sweetest defensive plays ever.  And I, personally, would rather see a great defensive play anyday than a home run. 

Well...at least that's normally the case.  In this same game - 3rd inning - said pitcher comes to bat with the bases loaded, game tied at 4-4.  I joked with my son, "So...whad'ya think?  Is Brad Penny goin' yard?"  We laughed.  But not for long.  First pitch...he knocked it clean out of the park for a Grand Slam.  I can appreciate that sort of unexpected offense almost as much as a super defensive move.  Thank you, Brad Penny!


It was a perfect ending to a long week...a cool, breezy night...sitting between my sons...eating ballpark food...and watching the Cards smoke the Angels in interleague play.  I really DO love baseball.  Even when I'm not following it daily!

1 comment:

"Mr. Dad" said...

Looks like you got in your "two cents" (er . . . Penny's) worth once again (even though you haven't be "following the Cardinals as heartily this season" as in the past).