Monday, May 17, 2010

Leisurely Woman's Daybook

Outside my window...I am burying some seeds in my first attempt to grow my own spinach. 

From the kitchen...I discovered that broiling peppers and portabellas in the oven until they are slightly blackened, offers the same result as cooking them on the gas grill.  Douse with oil, salt and pepper.  Divine.  Simply divine.

Around the house...You know how it goes, don't you?  You decide to switch up a room or two, which leads to re-painting walls, which leads to the revelation that everything adjacent to the freshly painted walls now looks dull and dirty, which leads to painting more walls, which leads to painting baseboards and door trims and doors, which leads to an awareness of all the junk that has accumulated behind those doors, which leads to emptying the cabinet/closet and purging, cleaning and re-organizing its contents.  Suddenly, you become overwhelmed with the magnitude of this "little" project you began and wonder if you will never be finished!!   You DO know how that goes, don't you?

A favorite thing...my $15 brown suede jacket...last year's best Goodwill find.

I am thinking...that I should try really hard to go to bed before 3am tonight, even if my work isn't finished.

I am wearing...my paint clothes, of course.  Because I have been painting for 9 days now.  Enough already.

I am hearing...5 or 6 songs from The Very Best of Chicago.  Though I've never been a "fan" of Chicago, several of their big hits are embedded in my brain and carry pleasant associations from days gone by.  

I am reading...Fight the Good Fight by Robert Rayburn.

I am creating...a very feminine "bridal-looking" baptismal gown.  It's in the very early stages:


Plans for my week...FINISH the  household projects I've begun and clean the place up!  HOST a housewarming party.  ATTEND multiple graduations and parties.  ENJOY the Providence Pentecost Pig Roast.   

A photo/video I am sharing:  Here's an old video of one of Chicago's hits. These guys wouldn't make it past the first round or two of American Idol today!! They were not the best live performers. OK...they were awful. See if you can make it ALL THE WAY THROUGH the video. It's the hardest thing to take!


4 comments:

annie said...

I'm impressed with all of your painting. The baseboards in this house are terrible, and yet I haven't tackled them because painting them means painting everything.

I must know, what is the best Goodwill around here -- in your opinion. :)

"Mr. Dad" said...

Yes, Chicago is (was) a great group. But, since the original guys are "older than dirt" (see Peter Cetera bio— http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Cetera), you have to go back prior to 1985 or so to really appreciate their stuff.

Gotta love "Saturday in the Park" and "Dialogue" Pts. 1, 2 (1972), "Just You 'N Me" (1973),"Wishing You Were Here" (1974 with the Beach Boys backing vocals), "Old Days" (1975), "If You Leave Me Now" (1976), and many more (before your time).

They're the one group I wish I had seen "live" in their heyday. You can borrow my CDs anytime you want.

P.S. Re: Peter Cetera— "His trademark singing style would develop as a result of having to sing for a period of time with a wired-shut jaw after getting into a brawl at a Los Angeles Dodgers game in 1969." (Hmmmm . . . Cetera a Cubs fan, maybe?!!)

Lori Waggoner said...

Annie, The best one USED TO BE on Morganford near I-55, but it has closed down. I don't know anymore which ones are best because these days I only go to the one on Watson and the one on Baptist Church. They are both convenient and on my regular routes...I consistently find cute skirts and tops at both of these. I hear the one on Manchester and the one in Warson Woods are especially good, but I haven't checked them out yet.

Lori Waggoner said...

Robert! You're a hoot. You WOULD like Chicago! Thanks for the links and the fun info! I watched several YouTube videos from a variety of years and the vocals in every one of them are AWFUL! Apparently the studio was there best place to perform. Thanks, bro.